Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lith film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricksplace1

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been messing around with lith film, Arista and Kodak, in my Century and Speed. I shoot it at ISO 6 (not a typo, it's slow film) and develop it in Rodinal at 1:150 dilution. I use 11X14 tray so I don't have to "card shuffle" and scratch the thin emulsion. I agitate once every minute only. Around 7 to 8 min at 68F seems to work. You can watch it under the red safelight. You can also cut film to size under a red safelight. 100 5X7's can be cut up into 100 4X5's and 200 2X3's. The 2X3's are a little short, but they work in the film holders.
1:150 is really dilute, so the developer exhausts quickly, and has to be replaced more often than stronger dilutions. The weak dilution controls the contrast build-up and the negs look quite good. Use a plain water stop as an acid stop sometimes gives pinholes in the thin emulsion. The negs look thin, but give good prints. D76 1:3 works too, but builds contrast faster. (I like the Rodinal better) Enjoy.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in Canada? Are you mailing ordering from Freestyle? How are they? Funny I was going to order a box next week. There is a formula out there for use with Freestyles film. If you want I'll try and find it. Is the film actually 6 ? I'd been led to believe it's close to 1 or maybe 3-) Have you tried the Maco film? Freestyle has it for more money but Henry's here in Toronto seems reasonable. OTOH who knows how long it would take to special order it.
ricksplace1

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to Nick.
I'm in Thunder Bay in the great white north so I have to use mail order a lot. (there is still ice on some lakes here!) I have ordered from Freestyle several times and have found their products excellent and their service first rate. I highly recommend them.(no, they haven't paid me to say this). I can say the same about Henry's in Toronto too.
I've never tried a lower ISO. I sort of worked my way down to where I got good results. ISO 6 seems to work with the developer combinations I use. I have not tried MACO film. I have used FP4, HP5, TMax100&400, +X and TriX in the 4X5 & 2X3. All good. Freestyle used to carry EFKE film (Croation). I really liked this stuff. Old style thick emulsion and long lattitude. I used it in 35 and 120. I wish they still carried it.
Nick

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if the Lith film sold by Freestyle is actually made by Maco. They've now got the Maco genius film lith film in the catalog. But it's only in big sheets. Henry's has the 4x5 on the website but it's a special order. I'm going to order the APHS from freestyle this weekend. Do they include a data sheet or something?
RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 06:15, ricksplace1 wrote:
snip...

Freestyle used to carry EFKE film (Croation). I really liked this stuff. Old style thick emulsion and long lattitude. I used it in 35 and 120. I wish they still carried it.

J & C carries Efke in just about every format. Find them at

http://www.jandcphotography.com/

ricksplace1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RichS for the info re J&C Camera.
Nick: check out Freestyle's website for processing info. I don't know if they have any info on alternate processing of their lith film.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: