Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racking out lens not easy Crown Graphic 2 1/4 x 3 1/4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f_64

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some kind of lubrication I could use on the rails to make the twin focusing knobs easier to turn? They work but require a fair amount of force.

Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 2x3 Crown, like my Century, should have a tension adjustment screw recessed into the rail guide at the outer end of the drop bed on the left side (as you look at the camera from the front). Before applying any lube I would try finagling around with this little set screw and a jeweler's screwdriver; you might ease up the action by this alone. Otherwise, for general lubrication of mechanical parts I like to use the "Labelle" line of lubricants available at your well-stocked friendly local hobby shop (especially one with model railroad emphasis). Their line includes synthetic oils and greases of in several viscosities, some plastic compatible. Apply a little of the #106 grease to the teeth on the underside of the bed, and a drop of the #101 or #107 oil to the focusing knobs bearing points. Hopefully these actions will solve your problem without having to resort to lubing the rails themselves, creating a potentially messy situation.
Kim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a similar problem when i got my first speed...it's hard to explain or to figure out how it happened but somehow the worm gear had become racked and was not meshing correctly on one side. I little bit of thumb pressure and maybe a little twist resulted in a very satisfying click and presto it was focusing smooth as silk. The problem has not re-occurred.

Also I hesitate to mention it...but I have made plenty of silly overlooks myself :smile:make sure the focus lock lever is not engaged (the little lever near the front right focusing knob)
Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have tried everything else which has been suggested, and you still neen some lubrication on the rails, I find the best thing is to simply rub them with a candle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: