Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown date, focuspot ? and more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugo13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Crown Graphic here, serial number 967762 with what looks to be J4.CX under the bridge. It has a spring back and side Kaltar range finder. Can anyone give me an idea on the date?

There is a focuspot on the rangefinder, but I can't figure out how to check the bulb. Also, can anyone suggest an alternate way of powering it?

Next, what is the true purpose of the piston above the lens? Is there anyway to check/repair it?
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-09-06 16:21, hugo13 wrote:
I've got a Crown Graphic here, serial number 967762 with what looks to be J4.CX under the bridge. It has a spring back and side Kaltar range finder. Can anyone give me an idea on the date?

There is a focuspot on the rangefinder, but I can't figure out how to check the bulb. Also, can anyone suggest an alternate way of powering it?

Next, what is the true purpose of the piston above the lens? Is there anyway to check/repair it?

The piston above the lens I suspect is a solenoid. this was the way they synchronized shutters with flash bulbs before shutters had internal synchronization. IF you need more info, send a private message and I'll give you the low down.

The serial number, combined with the fact that you have a side rangefinder and the J4.CX leads be to speculated that the camera was made in August of '54.

As for powering the focospot, any 3 or 4.5 v supply will do. Heiland actually made a battery case that fit on top to do just that, but good luck find one of those. If you don't mind the look, Radio Shack sell battery cases maybe a little velcro on the top of the camera so you can take it off when it's not needed.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the info on this site at http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/manufacturing-code.html . According to the chart, the J4 part of the code indicates September of either '64 or '74, and the CX would be a change in some manufacturing detail or other. But Richard Paine's "A Review of Graflex" states (p. 72) that the last year for the 4x5 Crown was 1973, so this narrows it down to 1964. On the other hand, the obsolete spring back (rather than a Graflok back) combined with the side Kalart (rather than a top rangefinder) would indicate an earlier year, as Les stated. Something doesn't quite add up here!

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-09-07 01:04 ]
hugo13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Thanks for the help. I'd really appreciate any more info on the solenoid. I've considered just removing it, but I suppose that would necessitate adjusting the rangefinder.

Is there any way to narrow down the date any better? After the second reply about things not making sense, I wonder when this thing was really made. The lens board has the same code on the back as well as an additional date code it seems. The rangefinder is the old Kaltar model, which something on this site said is pre-55, and the back is the spring back which I thought was earlier than that. Any ideas?

Can you tell me how to open the focuspot even? I can get the piece on the end to turn - what I assume was the switch, and I can get the whole thing off the rangefinder, but I can't see any way to change the bulb or anything like that. Also, if that was off the rf, was there originally a cap to cover the hole there?

Is there anyway to tell what kind of flash would fit the bracket around the RF? What sort of price range would I be looking at for something like that, and where should I look for one?

Thanks again for all the help. The next step is fixing the shutter, so I'll order the repair manual for Graphex shutters. Once it's cleaned and fully functional, I'll move on to the old SLR Graflex. Any thoughts on dating one of those?

Brett
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2001 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

As frequent vistors to this site know only too well, I have a hard time giving short answers and, to give you enough info would make for a long post, some of which is a repeat from other posts.

Best to give me a call 248.478.5196 EST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: