Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot and Cold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed hot and cold running water in my camera room today. Feels almost as good as when we got electricty back in 1941. Russ
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Russ...just installed X-sync on my Graphex shutter thanks to your pc fitting. We've both gone modern...you've got water...and when I click the shutter...the flash goes off. Isn't modern technology great? Fred.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I've got to walk a good 20 feet to get to running water. Nothing wrong with that-)
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention my camera room is also a darkroom, where water is almost a necessity. Russ
Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Russ,

What next? a radio? this may come as a shock but NBC blue* no longer exists, it was taken over by Westworld One I believe, but is a shadow (wavelenght?) of it's former self.

I'm not even going to mention radios with pictures in them....

*If you've never heard of NBC blue, then your younger than 40.
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had never heard of NBC Blue, although I will be 70 in June. Looked it up on the web just to see what it was about. Going on an Alaska Cruise in May any thoughts of Speed Graphics and Airport Security, thought about taking a 2x3 crown or maybe that pre-anniversary 3x4 since I have learned to cut down 4x5 film. Russ
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm an old radio announcer from the middle ages, (be 69 in June), I remember the NBC Blue and the Red Network. Seems old General Sarnoff wanted to monopolize radio, so he and the RCA folks started two networks so they could sell ads on two different stations in the large markets. And, if it weren't for him, we could have enjoyed FM on those 50,000-watt clear-channel stations instead of the old static-y AM. I'd take the 2X3, Russ. Why the extra weight? Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-04-09 18:14 ]
Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both networks got so big the feds finally said they had to sell one off, NBC blue was sold and became the poor orphan of radio--the American Broadcasting Corporation.

Fred you might remember the 3 note signiture of NBC (G-E-C). Rumor had it that it came from the fact that Gen Elec Co. owned them at the time, but that wasn't true. Can you remember the 4 note emergency tone?

Re: 2x3 or 3x4 I'd go with the 2x3 but I'd ship the film and the camera on ahead via UPS or USPS. and definitely mail/ship the exposed film back unless you can process it up there.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-09 14:08, jdman wrote:
Well I had never heard of NBC Blue, although I will be 70 in June. Looked it up on the web just to see what it was about. Going on an Alaska Cruise in May any thoughts of Speed Graphics and Airport Security, thought about taking a 2x3 crown or maybe that pre-anniversary 3x4 since I have learned to cut down 4x5 film. Russ
pack the 2x3 camera and holders etc. with your clothing, hand carry the roll film.
jdman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice, Thanks..Russ
AWT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely hand carry any and all film. Not to sound like I'm from the "Department of Redundancy Department", but the X-ray machines used to scan checked luggage will fry any speed film.

Last month, I bought a 50-sheet box of Provia 4x5 in Phoenix and shot a bunch of it with my Crown in Sedona. I cringed when the TSA guy insisted that it go through the x-ray conveyer (like I expected them to hand inspect a rectangular box *without opening it*!? Oh Dopey ME.)

I got home and had the trannies developed and they look gorgeous. No fogging.

Oddly enough, my daypack with my Crown and accessories was passed through the x-ray with nary a second glance on any leg of the trip.

As a further aside, I find the new TSA folks to be a LOT more pleasant and professional than the previous crop of airport nazis - you know, the folks who couldn't get a job asking if you'd "like fries with that", but were rifling through your undies in search of nail clippers and tweezers.

clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re NBC...here is...the rest of the story.. http://www.oldradio.com/archives/prog/nbc.htm

Fred P.S. No, I don't remember the 4-tone NBC emergency. You must be older than me. :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-04-10 07:28 ]
Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport xrays are additive, so fly non stop or if you have a layover, don't go out of the secured area.

While the checked luggage goes through machines that will melt lead, the carry on xrays will fog film too.

When I travel with a 5x7 2D and two 100 sheet boxes of film, they get shipped ahead. I carried on my set of lenses and got nailed every time--they just don't like seeing large cylindrical things.

They were curteous, and the rules changed from port to port,--some allowed me to help open the briefcase, others said I had to tell them exactly where it was, but once pegged then they do the shoe thing too, so next time I bring my 14" B&L tessar, I'm wearing sandals!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-04-10 07:35, Les wrote:
Airport xrays are additive, so fly non stop or if you have a layover, don't go out of the secured area.

While the checked luggage goes through machines that will melt lead, the carry on xrays will fog film too.

When I travel with a 5x7 2D and two 100 sheet boxes of film, they get shipped ahead. I carried on my set of lenses and got nailed every time--they just don't like seeing large cylindrical things.

They were curteous, and the rules changed from port to port,--some allowed me to help open the briefcase, others said I had to tell them exactly where it was, but once pegged then they do the shoe thing too, so next time I bring my 14" B&L tessar, I'm wearing sandals!
Sandals? When I flew out of Panama City last year they looked at my sandals.

Cheers,

Dan
AWT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough: x-rays *are* additive *and* exposed film is more prone to damage than unexposed film. The TSA folks claim the carry-on x-ray screening is safe for film of less than 1600 speed.

I've tried to explain to them that passing my 800-speed film TWICE through their machines is like passing 1600-speed through ONCE. Alas, while the TSA is a "kinder, gentler" bunch, they are no more intelligent than the McDonalds rejects. I just get the same mantra: "X-ray is safe... X-ray is SAFE" while they dump my film on the conveyor.

Having said that, I must say that this past summer I had several rolls of 800-speed film x-rayed multiple times on the way to and from Alaska. I shot some stuff when I got back and the returned prints still had no visible fogging or loss of contrast.

I was *hoping* to see some damage so that I could rant and rave to the TSA, but I haven't seen any yet. Yeah, you can send your film ahead or buy/process locally, but until I see real x-ray damage, I'll just avoid the hassles and put my 100-speed on the conveyor.

Maybe they'll let me keep my shoes on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: