Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Built-In Flash Sync

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've seen this somewhere, but can't put my finger on it: detailed info on how to add built-in flash sync to non-synced shutters such as the Graphex and Rapax. I'd like to give it a try, but having tried-and-true info would save a lot of trial-and-error. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-03-16 18:53 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find out, please let me know!
Other than that, I can't help...
I do know that Ed Romney sells a book on this subject that I hope to buy soon. And the quote I got for having this mod done was up to 150.00... A bit more than I wanted to invest in the lenses. So if you find another way, I could sure use it!

Rich...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich....That's exactly what I was looking for. I have ordered the booklet, "Adding Flash Sync To Old Shutters". When I get it, I'll let you know. I'll have to acquire some bi-post connectors to mount on the shutters, but I'll wait to see what the instructions say first. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-03-17 05:08 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, glad I could help
Let me know if that book's worthwhile!
And good luck finding the bi-posts. My idea for that was a standard PC connection using the Radio Shack 3mmx1.1mm "Adaptaplug 'G'" (part # 273-1710. It's a perfect PC female connector...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich...that's a good idea. I already have several HH-to-PC sync cords I don't use...so if the Radio Shack part mates up with them, it will simplify matters. Also, if anyone has any male bi-post...ASA Bayonet...or PC chassis-mount connectors in their junk parts, please leave me a private message. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-03-17 09:23 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of flash are you trying to sync to? For bulb flash, Kalart [and Heiland?] made devices that looked like a cable release, with an extra connection, that went to a bulb flashgun.

Have no idea how to EASILY add X sync.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to add internal contacts for "X" sync for electronic flash to some Graphex and Rapax shutters with great lenses I have. I know from working on these things that all one needs to do is mount a flash-sync connector, bi-post, PC, or ASA, to the shutter body. Connect one side to the body. Run an insulated wire from the other side of the connector to an insulated contact mounted on any part of the shutter mechanism that moves to a given point when the shutter is wide open. Have that contact touch the shutter body at that point, and it will trigger the electronic flash. I know this is how it's done...I just want to know how the professionals install the parts. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the booklet on Adding Synch to Old Shutters. It speaks in generalities and makes no reference to Wollensak shutters. However, I've gleaned enough from it to be able to attempt it...and the info agrees with what I already had assumed. Anyone interested in more details, let me know. Fred.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Fred. I was wondering how much detail was in the book. Do you consider it worthwhile?
And, yes, let me know how the mod goes. I would like to try the same thing, but to slightly older shutters...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not enough detail regarding the shutters for large format cameras...but there's enough general information to allow you to figure out how to do it. Rich...I've sent you an email. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: