Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown graphic(?) with 'spring' back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray@uptowngallery.org

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

I am going to adopt a 4x5 Graphic that was eliminated by my employer, saved from the dumpster by another guy who doesn't have a use for it, and finally got to me. I think it's a Crown Graphic.

Since I have only looked at it once, and that was my first up-close exposure to a LF camera, there is much I don't remember about it, but still want to ask some questions before I get it.

It has a Schneider Xenar 135/4.7 lens - is that one of the ones that barely covers 4x5?

If it has 12-1/2" bellows extension as the chart suggests, will this allow macro work and will the rangefinder allow focussing for macro work, or do I need to fake things out with closeup lenses?

The back appears to be a spring-loaded Graphic back - there is a double-eared flange that points to the right as viewed from the back that pulls away from the body to wedge the Polaroid 545 back in place. Will this back work with conventional film holders? (Lisco, RiteWay, etc.)

I read about alternate uses of the Polaroid back with non-Polaroid film - are there such uses for other mfr's film, or do I only use it for Polaroid work?

There is a pop-up/out viewing hood - I guess I'll eventually figure out whether something gets removed when the film holder goes in. It has a dark cloth, and a viewfinder. It's a bit confusing because there is a viewfinder at the top, a wireframe finder, and hopefully not a third method.

I'm hoping it has a gg to look at.

I guess I may have to wait until I have it in my hand to ask much more detailed questions.

Thanks

Murray
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xenar supposedly has an image circle of 165mm. I kindof remember the 4x5 diagonal as 152mm or so (it's late...). So there's some room for movements, but not a whole lot.

You can get 1:1 macro (or a little better) with the 135. But the rangefinder has a limit of roughly 6 feet or so. That won't help at all, plus it wouldn't be looking at the same place as the lens that close up anyway. The only way to do that kind of macro is focusing on the GG.

You can use the Quickloads and Readyloads in the 545 instead of Polaroid film.

I really don't know about using regular film holders? But they must have worked somehow because the camera was made well before there was a Polaroid...

Best thing to do is get the camera. Play with it. Read the info here on this site. Then when you can't figure something out, ask. LF is deffinitely fun, but very different from 35mm or digital...
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:58 ]
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-15 21:05, Murray@uptowngallery.org wrote:

It has a Schneider Xenar 135/4.7 lens - is that one of the ones that barely covers 4x5?

If it has 12-1/2" bellows extension as the chart suggests, will this allow macro work and will the rangefinder allow focussing for macro work, or do I need to fake things out with closeup lenses

If you go the Scheinder website they have info on thier older lens.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/xenar/data/4,7-135mm.html

Don't know about the rangefinder but you can always put a short lens on it for closer work. You'd need 160mm of bellows to get 1:1 with an 80mm lens.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back appears to be a spring-loaded Graphic back - there is a double-eared flange that points to the right as viewed from the back that pulls away from the body to wedge the Polaroid 545 back in place. Will this back work with conventional film holders? (Lisco, RiteWay, etc.)

About the only thing a spring back can't use is the Graflex 20 roll holders. but Calumet makes a very nice roll holder that will shoot 6x7 on 120 or 220 and slides in like film holder.

That said, the fact that yours has a Top RF and a Xenar, I'll bet you lunch it has a Graflok back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: