Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOLENOID ADJUSTMENT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: SOLENOID ADJUSTMENT Reply with quote

From the Graflex/General Precision Selonid Manual dated December 1964 (minus the pictures).

Section 103 SOLENOID ADJUSTMENTS -
The following instructions are applicable to solenoids mounted in a clamp type mount shown in Figure 2. The same instructions may be used as a guide when adjusting solenoids mounted in a bracket type mount shown in Figure 3.

1.Loosen clamp screw so that the solenoid may be moved up or down
2.Connect solenoid release lever link to shutter release lever stud.
NOTE: The solenoid should be located in the mount perpendicular to the shutter release lever so that the solenoid armature is pulling straight into the coil assembly of the solenoid on its downward travel.<br>
3.Set shutter at its top speed and cock.
4.Connect a solenoid cord from the solenoid to the SOLENOID outlet in battery case.
5.Press battery case switch button and hold. This will permit the solenoid armature to remain in the downward position until completion of the next step.
6.Slowly move solenoid away from shutter until shutter releases. Tighten clamp screw.
7.The solenoid armature should be at the bottom of its stroke when the shutter release lever is at the point of tripping. To test this adjustment,
cock the shutter and slowly press down by hand on the shutter release lever. At the exact point where the shutter releases, energize the solenoid by pressing the battery case switch button and hold. There should be no further movement of the shutter release lever.
8.Slowly back off solenoid cap until shutter holds in cocked position. Check adjustment by operating the solenoid. Do not proceed to the next step until this adjustment is correct.
9.Set shutter on TIME position and cock. Allow at least one second after cocking before pressing the battery case switch button. The shutter should open. Pressing the battery case switch button again should close the shutter. If the shutter fails to operate, proceed with the following adjustments, as required.
10.Adjust the solenoid cap by slowly screwing downward until shutter opens. Test after each fractional turn.
11.If shutter opens but will not close on TIME, the solenoid should be loosened in its mount and adjusted. Cock shutter. Pull down on solenoid until shutter releases. Move solenoid up in mount until shutter resets itself. A slight click will be noted. Tighten clamp screw to hold solenoid firmly in mount. Final adjustments can be made with cap adjustment (step 10).
NOTE: Because of the length of stroke and return spring characteristics of some shutters, the shutter cannot be operated on TIME and BULB with a solenoid connected. Some shutters will not hold open on BULB.
12.Test shutter synchronization by making practical test negatives. Synchronization may be tested with a reliable testing device also.
13.After repeated adjustments, if shutter and solenoid can not be synchronized correctly, the shutter should be overhauled.

Last edited by 45PSS on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
worldphoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info Charles! I have been the world's worst about testing my equipment. Over the past 25 or so years I've put together a pretty good Graflex gear package and I've still not used some of it. I resolve today to start testing my lenses, my solenoids, my flash, B-C cartridge, and, of course, use up some of my stockpile of flashbulbs. And I want to prove that the B-C cartridge is a reliable unit to be used with my lenses, solenoids and flashbulbs! (And it was!)
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-28 22:56 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I'll be very surprised if your BC pak is any good after this many years. Aging and disuse are like poison to capacitors. I do wish you luck, though.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the 22.v volts BC cartridge is poison to a solenoid too.
worldphoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warnings. If I fry the solenoid, that's Okay, the Bay auctions many of them.
I plan on making the following tests. This is to test the B-C cartridge and my whole setup. I'll be using:
4x5Crown w/ top rangefinder, Schneider-Kreuznach 135mm 1:4.7 lens,HR solenoid w/ male bi-posts connectors, Graflex #2773 3-cell tube, Graflex 5in. dome #2749, and Honeywell 3' cable between solenoid (household) conn. at tube and female bi-posts at solenoid.
The flashbulbs will be Sylvania P25's (about the same size as a #5).
I intend to make only two changes between the tests, first I will load tube w/ 3 batteries, fire shutter and bulb from tube red button and one shot at 1/100sec and second shot at 1/50sec.. Next I will change out the batteries for the B-C cartridge and dummy battery and redo the test at 1/100 and 1/50th. I will see if first they fire and second if I can discern any flash differences in batteries/B-C strength?
Of course, I'll be using a dark cloth in a darkened room and looking thru the gg.
------
The four test firings were completely successful! I first dry tested the shutter without a bulb and it worked fine. This is with 3-D batteries in Graflex tube. I than fired bulb at 1/100th of a second and it gave a full flash viewing thru the ground glass. Next I set shutter to 1/50th of a second and fired another flashbulb. I couldn't tell any difference in flash strength between the 1/100 and 1/150 strength. Now I replaced the batteries with the B-C cartridge, 22-1/2 volt battery, and a dummy battery to fill out the tube space. I fired flashbulbs at the above noted speeds. Both firings were so much brighter than before that I was blinded for a second after the firing. The camera was aimed at a draped wall about eleven feet away. Nothing was fried, I feel sure, because of the short duration! I'm sure it can be smoked if the red button is held down for a long time. The old condenser/capacitor worked great. I found in my notes that I performed a similar test about two years ago and with the same results. I bet a calculated Guide Number would be quite high! That's next.
Harry

(Reference: Topic Graflex Solenoid under Lenses Help in this Forum.)

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-25 21:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-02-28 22:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-03-04 05:35 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These instructions should come in very handy, as this week I plan on adjusting the solenoid for my recently CLA'd lens. Wondering if there is any on-line source for the instructions with pictures, or an on-lins source showing the anatomy of the Graflex solenoid... I'm a very visual guy who cannot do the simplest things unless somebody literally draws me a picture. Or can somebody scan and email me? Bert probably can... I've gotten nearly every printed piece of material he has from him in the process of restoring my Anniversary SG. But if not, anyone else?

jeff

It said "good-bye."
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have them in 30+mb TIFF, just need an address to send the converted to jpeg 1-2mb version to. use the private message featur if you do not want to post it here.

vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received them yesterday and will print them out this afternoon. With luck, will make adjustments later i the week. The lens was just CLAed and the solenoid mounted, but now I have to adhust the solenoid so that it will set off the shutter (just pulls, but not enough to fire it. Once that is done... huzzah! The envy of all my friends.

jeff

(well not really, most just think I'm nuts.)

It said "good-bye."
vic valis

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the solenoid is adjusted for all but the "B" and "T" settings, which is good enough at this time for my purposes. It looks like I will be taking my first test pictures with the camera next week when I demonstrate it for a class full of high school students; talk about pressure!

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: