Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
campy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a Crown Graphic with a 135mm lens. I purchased it not too long ago and I'm still learning how to use it. What I want to know is, would a graphic view camera be any benefit over the Crown for doing landscape pictures? I don't expect to venture very far from the car, and I would still continue to use the Crown. They seem to be reaonably priced and was wondering if I were to find a good bargain should I grab it? Would I be able to take the lens off the Crown and put on the Graphic View?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:24 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-27 15:50, campy wrote:
I now have a Crown Graphic with a 135mm lens. I purchased it not too long ago and I'm still learning how to use it. What I want to know is, would a graphic view camera be any benefit over the Crown for doing landscape pictures? I don't expect to venture very far from the car, and I would still continue to use the Crown. They seem to be reaonably priced and was wondering if I were to find a good bargain should I grab it? Would I be able to take the lens off the Crown and put on the Graphic View?

I own the GVII and love it. Or 'them' as I have just bought my third. The second was a source of spare parts, the third a bargain...
Which gets to my 'advice'. Buy a GVII if you _want_ a GVII. In my opinion, they are beautiful and functional 4x5 view cameras and I like to use mine, or just have it sitting on the tripod in the room to look at. As long as you don't get one with black bellows anyway. Ruins the look
The adapter board is a big advantage. It does have problems with large shutters, but will usually work. It will not work with the 90mm or shorter lenses as these need a recessed lens board and the two can not be used together.
You do pick up the front forward tilt and swing which is nice. Back movements were mentioned. The rear film holder rotates so it's a lot easier to take vertical shots. Also a longer bellows that allows for closer close-ups (more magnification) than a Crown or Speed.
I don't have a problem with the rail. It's just the way the camera works and you get used to it.
I'd suggest you look for one with a Graflok back and original case.
Although I like my Speeds and Crowns, it's the GVII that really captured me, so I'm a bit biased. I think every Graflex owner should have a GVII, and use it. And I can't understand why they don't?
But, if you're just looking for a view camera, there was a discussion here not too long ago about that. I think it was Les who pointed out a Toyo (I think?) that was a much better deal for a 'user'. I agree with him, but I'll still stick with my GVII
If you have any specific questions about the GVII, I and a few others here own them...

Rich...
Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to repeat my preference for the Omega (which is a cheap Toyo) or the Calumet NX(?) When I saw that Rich did it for me.

I've never owned one and used one only once (and that was for a wedding!) It's a nice camera,It's just a passion for this camera and wide lenses will be nothing but frustration.

Now RichS, your third[/] one? Rich, old buddy, old pal, old friend........you and I have to have a talk about a concept called [i]sharing the wealth...
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like my GV I and my Calumet 401. They balance each other out. The GV I is shorter. The Calumet comes with 22" of bellows. Neither is exactly expensive. My Calumet looks mint other then the intials of the previous owner.

The Calumet will use the lensboards that fit the GV. The only downer is the 4" lensboard. Those "cheap" long process lens are kind of big. Fitting a 360mm Nikon was very tight. I wonder if anything longer will fit.

I bought the second camera because I had a need for a lens longer then my GVI could handle.

My suggestion see if you can borrow/rent before you buy.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-27 21:06, Les wrote:

Now RichS, your third one? Rich, old buddy, old pal, old friend........you and I have to have a talk about a concept called sharing the wealth...

Les... You don't own a GVII?? I was under the impression that you had every model Graflex ever made? Seriously!
And I would love to 'share', but I have a minor psychological problem of having to have spares. Seriously... That's why I finally bought the second Speed. A 'spare' Crown didn't do it for me. And I had to buy a spar Crown for the Crown that was a spare for the Speed...
I wouldn't mind loaning it, but if it ever left me permanently, I'd just have to go buy another one... And believe me, this is a true curse. There's almost nothing I don't have two of. The wife being the main exception to this problem And that's why there's no 'wealth' to share

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2002-12-28 20:53 ]
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck don't we all own two or more? I have two Views and also two Toyo Views in addition to the many medium format and 35mm cameras I own and they all take great pictures, my wife says she hears me many a night dreaming about the next camera purchase and just shakes her head! As stated by someone else a wife is the only thing I don't have two of!

Is there a doctor in the house.......

Dave Parker
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have any SLR type Graflexes or Views, a rough inventory has me at around 24 Graphics, but these are here "temporarily" as I'm doing "research" I keep telling my wife.

Ebay has certainly doused the flames of collecting with a mixture of gasoline and hydrogen.

It got so bad around here (my has a book collection that rivals the local library) that I decided that ebay was evil and we should have nothing to do with it! I even went so far as to developing a 12 step program to help others kick the habit, but then realized the only way to sell the program was to put it on ebay!
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll bid on that!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-03 04:58, Les wrote:
While I don't have any SLR type Graflexes or Views, a rough inventory has me at around 24 Graphics, but these are here "temporarily" as I'm doing "research" I keep telling my wife.

Ebay has certainly doused the flames of collecting with a mixture of gasoline and hydrogen.

It got so bad around here (my has a book collection that rivals the local library) that I decided that ebay was evil and we should have nothing to do with it! I even went so far as to developing a 12 step program to help others kick the habit, but then realized the only way to sell the program was to put it on ebay!
Cold turkey is the only way to go. Just do it! That's what she whose advice must be taken has been telling me, only with respect to lenses for photomacrography.

But before you do it, you should buy, no, that would be too commercial a suggestion for this 99 44/100% pure venue.

But and however you can get in as much, if not worse, trouble with artful web searches that meet the letter, if not the spirit, of the law as laid down by spouses.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of breaking the law as laid down by the spousal unit, I just went momentarily mad and bought a 2-1/2X3-1/2 Auto Graflex Jr. w/Zeiss Tessar Lens. It is supposed to be operational, but I don't even know at this point whether I can adapt my 2-1/4X3-1/4 film holders, etc., to it. Can I? Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-03 17:07 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welllllllll,

It will take 2x3 graflex holders and I"m pretty sure any 2x3 Grafmatic will fit (4x5 Graflmatics were different fro Graflex and Graphic backs, but I'm almost certain the 2x3 was universal)

Now to roll film holders..... They did make them. I came close to buying an Auto Jr. with a suydam RF on it. Gralfex made Graflex back RFH in 4x5 and I think I saw them in 2x3 but not sure. It certainly would be a hard piece to find.

Now you did add the word "adapt" and with a full wordworking out fit, I'm sure anything can be adapted to fit.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les. I used the word "adapt" because I wasn't sure if my 2-1/4X3-1/4 Graflex film holders would work, not knowing anything about a Graflex Jr. If they fit, I'm home free because I have plenty of those...and I hope the Graflex Jr's back will allow the use of my 620 Adapta-roll. Thanks again. Fred. P.S. FWIW, the reason I called this a 2-1/2X3-1/2 Auto Graflex Jr. is because in the photo of the lens, the lens is stamped: 2-1/2X3-1/2 Bausch & Lomb-Zeiss Tessar Series/c. Pat. Feb. 24, 1903 No.1913713. I should receive it in a few days.(Oops. Just realized this is the view forum..and I'm talking reflex here. Sorry.)
[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-04 06:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-04 08:31 ]
JoePhoto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Graphic View (I, i think) and found that the lenses I have mounted on Graphic "C" lensboards for my Anniversary Speed fit just fine. As for eBay, I wouldn't have half of the stuff I have now if it wasn't for eBay. I don't see these things in camera stores at anywhere near reasonable prices.

Rangemaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay, Ebay, Ebay as the crowd chants, heck try running an internet business and work at a camera store 40 hours a week! Way to much exposure!

My wife just shakes her head now a days and say "I love you honey" as I sneak the next crown or view in the door...

She always asks, don't we have one of these already?, to which I reply, ya, but what if it breaks?

By time I got to step 5, I think I would have developed a 12 step to exploring the world of camera collecting, I just keep telling my wife, insurance, and these will pay for your living after I am gone...........

Of to criuse the listings again....

Dave Parker

[ This Message was edited by: Rangemaster on 2003-02-20 14:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: