Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiffen MCS filter system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know anything about this thing I likely blew too much money on?-)) I got an adapter with setscrews that fit up to a 73mm outside lens. A 0.6 ND filter. An 85a. Something called a soft diffuser. I'm guessing that makes good lens look worse. 58mm filter adapter. A 4x4 gel holder. Any chance this setup will be usefull? And even better any chance it'll fit all my wierd and wonderfull lens? Most of which have no filter threads.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your adaptor will fit on your lens, the various filters will work great for black and white negs....great for making clouds stand out...to darken sky...and for adapting close-up lenses for close ups! Some filters work with color too, but I always favored them with B&W film! Bert
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice system. I use 4x4 polyester 'gels' with the Lee "gel-snap" holder and like it a lot. It uses a big rubber band to hold the holder onto the lens. Doesn't work well at all on most of the smaller lenses without the addition of a push-on old style filter holder to give the rubber band something to hang on to. Yours should clamp onto just abouyt any lens that fits in the opening. And if it's too small, longer screws would make it work. And if it takes 4x4's... Sounds like something I'd like to look into...
The ND will always come in handy. The diffuser is great if you ever have to do a portrait of a wife or girlfriend!
Enjoy!
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it'll show up early this week. The seller is local and there is no excuse for it not to be here by Wed at the latest.

They've been trying to sell these things for quite awhile. Nobody bids on them. Finally I got tired of trying to find something that will work for all my lenses and took the plunge. The version with the set screws made it interesting. Supposedly Tiffen made it with a set of adapters you needed that screwed into the front of your lens. The version I got is more universal. I wonder if it cost more intially. Tiffen doesn't make it anymore but hopefully it works well enough. I'm a little worried that the system needs a piece I didn't get-) I'll know soon enough.

I was looking at the Lee Gelsnaps but I need to use more then one filter and to be honest all the dire warnings about gel filters getting damaged got to me.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2003-02-16 14:10 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let us know how it works...
You're right about gel filters. I have a few in 3x3. Can't clean them easily and quite fragile. But at least the polyester ones are water proof, so easier to clean. But still very fragile. And the biggest drawback of the 'gel-snap' is a single filter. But for the cost of new, it can't be beat...
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showed up today. It's a touch too small for my biggest lens but it should still work for that one. With the big lens the worry is will it vignette. For the smaller lens seems like a good way to fit filters. It's one of those things that make more sense once you've played with it for a few minutes. Other then hoping it was a few mm bigger the only downside is the threaded filter holder seems to need to go on the outside. With my small lens it shouldn't matter but I'd worry about vignetting with a bigger lens.

So if you've got lenses and no way to fit filters it might be okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: