Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable release for Ilex #5 Universal Synchro shutter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy, all ye knowledgeable ones!
I got a 'good deal' on an Ilex #5 shutter, but can't seen to trip it with my cable releases (all fairly new, standard types). It trips fine via the lever. The cables screw in fine, but can't trip the shutter.
Was my 'good deal' a bad deal, or does this monstrous shutter need some type of equally outsized cable release? I think I've heard of a 'long throw' cable release (or I might have imagined that?) - is that what's needed?
Thanks for any input!
Alf
Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've heard of a 'long throw' cable release
Yes you have

(or I might have imagined that?)
No you haven't

- is that what's needed?
Yes it is!
I'd call Calumet or B&H and tell them you need a long throw cable release. If they sound dumb then ask for the Large format guy. You might want to try Midwest Camera Ex (www.mpex.com)
I discovered the same situation with my 10" Wide Field Ektar when I wanted to do self time. All of the self timers I had couldn't handle the throw.
AWT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how far of a "throw" is the long-throw?

My cable release shoots out about a half-inch or more and I have to be careful not to mash too hard on it for fear of damaging the shutter.

Maybe if what I've got *is* a long-throw, we might work out a trade....
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-06 05:00, Alfie wrote:
Ahoy, all ye knowledgeable ones!
I got a 'good deal' on an Ilex #5 shutter, but can't seen to trip it with my cable releases (all fairly new, standard types). It trips fine via the lever. The cables screw in fine, but can't trip the shutter.
Was my 'good deal' a bad deal, or does this monstrous shutter need some type of equally outsized cable release? I think I've heard of a 'long throw' cable release (or I might have imagined that?) - is that what's needed?
Thanks for any input!
Alf
Another possibility is that your shutter needs service. By all means try a long-throw release -- the longest I know of is the Gitzo cable release made specially for the Beaulieu 5008S super 8 cine camera -- but it may not solve your problem.

I had a couple of #3 Ilex Universals with exactly the same problem, and even the super cable couldn't fire them consistently.

Cheers, condolences,

Dan
Alfie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I'll try the long throw cable and hopefully that will do the trick.
If not, I'll be in a position to offer someone, a really, really good deal on a #5 shutter
Springback

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try either the Gepe or the Calumet HV2000. The Gepe has a slightly longer throw and costs less. The Calumet is more flexible and comes in a nifty red cover. Both are available with Zeiss Disc locks, the Gepe is also available with the t-lock. I've got 2 No.5 Universals and "been there, done that." Good Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: