Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on adding flash synch to shutter/lens??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there's a lot of very kknowedgable (and kind!) people here, I'd like to solicit some opinions...

I have contacted Steve Grimes about adding X flash sync to a shutter that has no sync at all. Of course he could only offer a rough estimate, but it was upwards of $150. Although for the work involved it sounds reasonable to me, it's not something I would (or could) have done for all my lenses... So I'd like some opinions here on which would be the best choice.

The two in question are the Meyer Plasmat (15 f4.5,22 f8,32cm f11) in an old Compur dial set shutter. The other is a Wollensak 8x10 Series IIIA EXWA f12.5 in a Betax No.3 shutter. The Meyer at 15cm does not quite cover 8x10, the Wollensak easily does and is surprisingly bright for f12.5. Both lenses are a bit 'hazy' but not too bad and should be acceptably sharp (for me!). Both shutters seem to work fine but I haven't tested the speeds yet.

Are either lenses/shutters worth this kind of investment? If 'yes' for both, which would be the better choice to invest in? Or should I just wait till some future time to pick up a newer combo that already has x-sync? My knowledge falls a bit short when it comes to true value and as yet how either lens will actually perform (still waiting for the film...). Right up front I'll say that I'm partial to the Plasmat, just because of what it is even though it falls short at 15cm. The Wolly is not impressive to look at or play with, but it sure looks good on the GG... The problem is that if I go with the Plasmat, I won't have that wide coverage for interior flash shots. Unless I decide that I like dark curved corners But is investing in the Wolly a waste of money???

If you think this is bad, you should see me try to work through a menu at a restaurant

Thanks for any opinions...

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2003-02-10 12:36 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-10 12:19, RichS wrote:
Since there's a lot of very kknowedgable (and kind!) people here, I'd like to solicit some opinions...

I have contacted Steve Grimes about adding X flash sync to a shutter that has no sync at all. Of course he could only offer a rough estimate, but it was upwards of $150. Although for the work involved it sounds reasonable to me, it's not something I would (or could) have done for all my lenses... So I'd like some opinions here on which would be the best choice.

The two in question are the Meyer Plasmat (15 f4.5,22 f8,32cm f11) in an old Compur dial set shutter. The other is a Wollensak 8x10 Series IIIA EXWA f12.5 in a Betax No.3 shutter. The Meyer at 15cm does not quite cover 8x10, the Wollensak easily does and is surprisingly bright for f12.5. Both lenses are a bit 'hazy' but not too bad and should be acceptably sharp (for me!). Both shutters seem to work fine but I haven't tested the speeds yet.

Are either lenses/shutters worth this kind of investment? If 'yes' for both, which would be the better choice to invest in? Or should I just wait till some future time to pick up a newer combo that already has x-sync? My knowledge falls a bit short when it comes to true value and as yet how either lens will actually perform (still waiting for the film...). Right up front I'll say that I'm partial to the Plasmat, just because of what it is even though it falls short at 15cm. The Wolly is not impressive to look at or play with, but it sure looks good on the GG... The problem is that if I go with the Plasmat, I won't have that wide coverage for interior flash shots. Unless I decide that I like dark curved corners But is investing in the Wolly a waste of money???

If you think this is bad, you should see me try to work through a menu at a restaurant

Thanks for any opinions...

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2003-02-10 12:36 ]
Um, before you run amok and impoverish yourself, will your flash cover the angle the lens sees?

And, is "turn the lights out, open the shutter, and fire the flash" impossible?

Cheers,

Dan
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-10 15:07, Dan Fromm wrote:
Um, before you run amok and impoverish yourself, will your flash cover the angle the lens sees?

And, is "turn the lights out, open the shutter, and fire the flash" impossible?

Cheers,

Dan

Yep, flash coverage is no problem and there's always bare bulb if needed...
I didn't check the Plasmat, but the Wolly's coverage is roughly 80 degrees or so. I didn't measure, but it's deffinitely less than 90...
Open flash is very possible and even practical in many situations even without turning off any lights. But there is a major convenience factor to simple x-sync and it is a few things less to worry about when shooting. "Practical" may be the optimum word though as I'm really not sure it's worth investing that much into either of these lenses. I think the 'smart' thing to do would be to wait to find the 'right' lens in a sync'd shutter and then sell mine. But we all know I've never been all that practical, and never actually sell anything...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have simply been patient and waited to find good lenses, albeit Raptars and Ektars, with built-in sync. And no, I don't sell the good old lenses that don't have sync...I exercise them occasionally with outdoor and natural light shots. Selling anything just isn't in my vocabulary. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: