Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sticking Shutter on Graflex RB Series D 4x5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnatphoto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Graflex RB Series D 4x5. The shutter has been sticking on 1/8. Took it apart to investigate and found that one of the metal pieces connecting that aperature is sticking on the top of the wooden frame ....it seems that as the "roll" of material gets thicker it gets very very close to the wooden frame....closer than it should. Also, as the curtain rolls up, it veers to one side a little (the side that is sticking) and this may be helping the problem. I have tried guiding it back into alignment but as soon as it is on its own it veers off again. Not sure what the fix is . .. any ideas?
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the brass strip on the curtain to see if it has a bent "catch point" on it, would probably be on the backside. If that is not it, there should be signs of where it is rubbing on the wood, a bit of sanding could fix that! Another thing to check, should be a roller at top and bottom, maybe a retaining screw loose or missing! Bert
gnatphoto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bert. Yes, I had already found one of the little bent tips and straightened it out as much as possible. However, the entire roll of material seems to be too close to the wood on that side, so sanding may be the answer. The problem is ...I'm not sure what the next dismantling step is. I have the back plate unscrewed and can see the entire curtain and both brass rollers, but I can't get to the area in question (near the top roller) to check the screws or to sand down the wood above. Can you advise on what to take off next? Thank you!!
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed you said that, as the "roll" gets thicker.....check the curtain at the slot that is giving the problem.....see if there is a patch of material around the slot somewhere.....curtain is a single piece of material, and should not get "thicker" at any point along it's travel!!
Check the rollers to see if they roll freely (could be part of the problem if they are not free)If all else fails>>>>
Inside you will find a corrigated looking piece of wood, tapered toward the top, remove 2 wood screws, (on the side that is hanging up)and remove the >rear< tapered piece! You should be able to see the roller guide! Not likely that the guide is out of place ("roller closer to wood than it should be")unless the screw holes were wollowed out, and holes were plugged, and then the screws re-inserted! Very close tolerances to make both sides come out the same distance, so measure carefully...1/64th
of an inch could be as bad as 1/8th inch in this instance!
Another note! On that brass slot trim, when layed flat it is approx 1/8" wide..folded in half....with a 1/16 wide piece sticking out of both ends....these are folded back, and pierce the material, then folded inward and "GLUED" in place on the backside....just another thing to check! You wont hurt anything if you pull the curtain out far enough to see the backside (do not remove the roller, just pull on the free end of the curtain, while still in place!)Let us know what you find! Bert
gnatphoto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm finally back. I'll commment first on your last post:

"the slot that is giving the problem.....see if there is a patch of material around the slot somewhere."

There was, in fact, on slot that had material patches over the metal pieces. They seemed to be superflous so I removed them. (It may have helped some, but its not resolved yet.)

"curtain is a single piece of material, and should not get "thicker" at any point along it's travel"

Yeah, theoretically, right? ha ha. It is also getting "off-center" just a bit, angling towards to problem side. This may be adding to the thickness issue. Plus if the metal pieces are stacking up in the wrong places (some of which may be just a little less than flat, even though I've flatten as best I could) then this could definitely cause one side to be thicker, no?

I have at least determined that it is DEFINITELY the metal from the last slot that is hanging on the wood that is causing the problem. (It hangs much less at higher tensions because the roll is tighter.)

So in terms of dismantling further in order to sand down the wood, are you saying that I should remove the corrugated side pieces and then REMOVE the top roller? Just making sure I understand before I start. The area I need to sand is above (or "behind") the top roller.

Thanks so much for your help.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for taking so long to reply!
Chances are, with the back off, you should be able to get at the problem area, with out removing the top roller, just wedge your hand under the curtain to gain access, and sand away, >make sure that some of the curtain on the bottom roller before you try that! If you have to remove the roller, you will run into difficulties removing the top winder plate! The mirror cock lever ("H") must be removed, and the small taper pin is usually a bear to remove..it can be done...but...unless done properly...you could end up with a bent mirror shaft!
The brass edge strips could possibly cause tracking problems, but not likely, as they never lay on top of each other, and only the material rests on top of them! Sounds more like one side of the top roller is out of place----check with a straight edge to
see if the rollers are aligned the same on both sides--bottom and top rollers! Again let us know what you find! I will not take so long with my next reply......Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: