Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View ll lensboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offset

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 4x5 without a lens or lensboard, so I made a lensboard out of 1/8" thick particle board - cut to 3 15/16 sq. In order to install the board. I had to sand it down about .005" thinner - so now it fits great, but when I lock it in place, there is a tiny amount of play between the lock and the lensboard, so it is not really tight. Doesn't sound right to me. There are several 'fixes' to take up the play - but how is the standard lensboard different? Thanks!
offset
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the standard lensboard isn't made of particle board
It's hard to say what the difference is without a side-by-side comparison. The standard is 1/8 thick with a 1/16 bevel on the bottom inside edge to help it mount easier. It also has a rib that runs all the way around the inside of the board roughly 3/16 from the edge (almost 1/4 from the bottom) and 1/8 in height. This rib does nothing to hold or steady the board. More of a light trap. By the way, my standard boards measure a full 4 inches, not 3 15/16...
About the only thing that would keep it tighter when locked in is to make it a little bit thicker...
Now maybe to make you feel just a little bit better. I just finished making two board out of 1/2 inch plywood. Works great if you have the tools to rabbit the sides and cut & inset the holes... Anyway, after careful measurments and fine sanding, both boards are just a little bit loose when locked in also... To be honest, I haven't actually tried them on a View yet as I made them for my own 6x6-4x4 conversion board. And you'd think that since I made both, they'd fit better....

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2003-02-05 20:17 ]
Offset

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich...
Thanks for the detailed info, I really appreciate it! I wonder why the upper sliding clamp doesn't have a simple clamping action? Oh well! Incidentally, in looking at my Graflok back, The upper and lower sliding clamps don't seem to clamp or lock on to anything on the film holders. They must be for locking on to another accessory. The operating manuals don't mention them. The service manual identifies them, but their function is not mentioned. Do you happen to know what they are for? Thanks again!
offset
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, why wasn't it angled in a bit so that it tightened against the board as it moved down? I may have to make another 6 to 4 adaptor board now that I've thought of that!

Well I know some uses for the clamps anyway.
They will clamp to the Graflarger cold light box. And they're the only way to hold on the Graphic roll film holders since the entire GG section has to be removed to fit them. They do lock into some film holders as far as I know. There were also unique options like the sliding back. It locked on with the sliding clamps and allowed two shots on one sheet of film. And that's about all that comes to mind at the moment...
Offset

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Rich! Interesting and useful info, as usual!
offset
Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the bevel on the bottom of the lensboard is to allow it to tip in and out of the rabbet (rebate for those across the pond) If the board is left square it can bind onthe back of the standard.

The Graflok sliders allow you to remove the ground glass and lock into place
    a Polaroid 545, 545i and 545 pro back
    a Polaroid 405 back
    the (useless) Graphic Polaroid back
    the Graphic Polaroid back's ground glass adapter
    the Graphic 22 and 23 roll holders
    The RH series of roll holders
    The Grafmatic Graphic 45
    The (useless) Film Pack Adapter
    The Graflarger

It won't hold film holders in place. The Graflex back had a similar system but they used slightly wider film holders with grooves. In this system, the ground glass was also locked in and had to be removed to load a holder.
Offset

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les...
You sound like someone who has been around graphics for a while! Very helpful info! Thanks!
offset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: