Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs on Sunpak 511

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have the ASA 100 guide for this strobe, or any other good or bad information. Russ
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guide # 100 for ASA 100

On the good side, it has an automatic exposure mode (and manual) and it does bounce, on the bad side, the handle diameter is too big for the common double Graflite flash mounting clamps, but there is a common size tripod threaded hole on the bottom of the handle for an alternative mounting solution.

graflite
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for 120 GN. On the Handle size ran into the same problem on my Vivitar 3900, a great flash, but I use its mounting. I also have a Strobonar 660 which does accept the graflite clamps and looks pretty good on a Pacemaker. Russ
Graflite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ:

If you want a GN of 120 then the Sunpak 522 is for you, or perhaps a Sunpak 544 which has a GN of 140, both of which are non dedicated flash units.

I believe it is the 555 and after that use a dedicated module for popular cameras such as the Nikon, Canon and so forth.

If I could craft a set of larger diameter clamps for the Sunpak handle, I would gladly get a 544 for my 4 x 5 Pacemaker Crown and use the 544 on the standard flash mounting plate of my Crown.

Otherwise I had thought of using a flat 35mm style flash bracket with a 1/4 inch bolt on one end to attach to the bottom of the 544 handle, and mounting the flash bracket to the bottom of the Crown with the flash on the right side, but then I wonder about bruised knuckles when handling the film holders.

Right now I use a manual exposure 250 strobe (for indoor work) or a Strobomatic 500RG (for outdoor work), but after a while the battery packs (especially the 500) becomes somewhat of a burden, but the 500 does have a GN of 211 which is somewhat respectable.

But nothing nowadays really beats a #40 bulb in a 7 inch reflector, but I've forgotten what the actual BCPS of this combo really was.

Good luck with your endeavors.

graflite
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-29 19:28, Graflite wrote:
Russ:
.snip...
If I could craft a set of larger diameter clamps for the Sunpak handle, I would gladly get a 544 for my 4 x 5 Pacemaker Crown and use the 544 on the standard flash mounting plate of my Crown.

Otherwise I had thought of using a flat 35mm style flash bracket with a 1/4 inch bolt on one end to attach to the bottom of the 544 handle, and mounting the flash bracket to the bottom of the Crown with the flash on the right side, but then I wonder about bruised knuckles when handling the film holders.

graflite

I ran through this process last year when trying to mount a new flash on my Speed. I finally came up with two very easy solutions.

First, the Graflite clamps. I bought a spare pair. Then slit the strap in the middle to separate it into two halves. It also has a small bend near the clamp side . It helps to straighten this out to widen the diameter. Then I used a Dremel with an engraving bit (tiny burr) to create a slot on both sides. This is right in between the screw head and the start of the strap. The slot is not more than 1/4 inch long and maybe 1/8 inch wide. Just big enough for a nylon wire tie! String the wire tie through one slot and out the other. Then put the clamp on the hande. Wrap the tie around strap and handle and tighten. It works great on my 622. This was a 'temporary' solution for me, but there's no reason for me to do anything more as it works just fine.

Second. At the hardware store, I noticed "fence angle supports", sometimes also for doors. They come in many sizes. Flat steel 'L' shaped with holes every inch or so. I got one of these for a couple of bucks. Drilled new holes so a 1/4-20 would thread through (the original holes are larger) and glued a thin cork sheet to one side. That become the side that connects to a tripod socket. The other side becomes a flash bracket. I screwed a Graflex flash bracket in the middle so I could clamp one on. Then used a wood block, drill two holes all the way through. Mounted this to one of the original holes in the bracket at the top. And mounted a hot shoe adapter to this with a 1/4-20 bolt. This now serves as an extra heavy duty flash bracket that will accomodate either (or both) a Graphic clamp-on flash or a hot shoe mount.

Mounting the clamps to the handle is more convenient, but will cost a few dollars more and ruin the clamps for original use. They're made of soft brass by the way, so working them is easy... And be careful of a flat flash bracket that uses the tipod mount at the bottom of the handle. My 622 would never hold the weight of a Speed mounted that way. It would tear the mounting nut right out of the plastic bottom...

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2003-01-29 21:12 ]
Graflite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichS

Many thanks for the detailed instructions on making a flash clamp that will fit the Sunpak handle, it is something that I will look seriously into when I have time.

You are right about not using the tripod hole on the bottom of the Sunpak handle to mount a heavy camera such as the Speed or a Crown, I was not considering the weight of these larger cameras when I mentioned it, but instead had thought of using a Sunpak 544 with my Yaschica TLR along the same lines, but even it might be too heavy.

It appears that the clamps seem to be the only way to go, as far as stability and safety are concerned, as I would love to pair a 544 with my Crown and not really worry too much about the flash exposure, but instead just "focus" on the focusing.

I guess for now I'll stick with my 250 and 500 strobes and an occasional #5 or Press 25 bulb in my 5 inch reflector.

graflite
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people would say that if you've got a working 500RG, why look for anything else? I have one here, but never did get around to replacing the batteries in the pack. And I agrre that the power pack could get a bit heavy if you're doing some walking, or even just standing for a while... There are advantages to the auto-flashes, but when using a Graphic, who cares. Especially if you can show off that 500!
Graflite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichS

I agree, the 500RG is really nice, and when I rebuilt the battery pack I got a great deal on 4000ma Ni-Cad batteries (as opposed to the usual 1800ma) and it seems (at least to me) to hold a charge quite a bit longer.

My dream is still to build into a gutted Graflite 3 cell handle the electronics of a 250 or 500 bare bulb flash, and in place of a "flash bulb" have a "flash strobe tube" sitting in front of a 7 inch reflector.

Mounted on my 4 x 5 Pacemaker Crown the flash would appear (except for closer inspection) to be a bulb type flash with the convience of not having to use and dispose of bulbs (a dwindling supply, I might add).

The only negative factor (as for appearance) would be the cord running from the flash handle to a battery pack (either on the shoulder or on the belt).

graflite

RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember someone did that and had the info on the web somewhere? Don't remember the details though. Maybe someone else does?

I had this dream also! As usual, real life just keeps getting in the way. And then other projects, like my foray into 8x10 at the moment...

But if you do manage this project, please make the info available to the rest of us. I'll bet there's more than one around here that would love to have that flash!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: