Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scratched Rear Element on Optar Lens - Useable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedGraphicBeginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a nice Speed Graphic with a pinpoint mark, as if the point of a pin were poked into the glass, on the outside edge of the rear element. Should this render the lens unusable? The lens is the common 127 m/m f 4.7 OPTAR lens. Otherwise, the lens is unmarked w/o scrathces. Would this mark be in focus on the film plane? I am a new user. Or should I just get another or a new lens?
Should I worry about it? I just got the camera and is in otherwise nice condition. Thanks for you fine web site. Any comment helpful. I want to go beyond 35 m/m into large format photography. Thank you!

Henry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Take a few pictures and find out! From what you describe, I doubt very much if you would see any effect in the image from such a pinpoint edge defect. You're going to be stopped down when you shoot and very little if any light will be passing through the edge. My 101 Optar has a very noticeable scratch across the center of the front glass and I have yet to see any effect at all from it.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-08-10 07:56 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: