Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Pre-Anniversry Flash ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guz guz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!
I would like to know what kind of flash fits this bracket on a Pre-Annyversary:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1949131709&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

by the way, do I need a solenoid for the lens on that camera?
(15 cm f4.5 Zeiss Tessar mounted in a Compur shutter).

And one last question (this time :
A Graflok back (just the frame) from a Crown fits on this camera?
Thank you and happy week end.
Guz

jdman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being totally wrong I will try and answer your questions.
1.. Looks like the old expensive style Graflex
2..If you want to take flash pictures then you need a solenoid, and go thru the process of setting it up. I see no contacts on the shutter.

3.. The Graflok frame should fit. Since it has a Graflex back, the type 5 film holders will not work, and you will need to look for the older type.

If you are making a user and don't care about being correct, then replace the lens with one with M-X sync, A Graflite flash with bracket and clamps. And if you are going to only use film holders or Grafmatic, then a Spring back or Graflok back. Just my thoughts. Russ
vic valis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So YOU'RE the won that won that camera... yeah, I was watching it too. I've never seen a mount like that, where it looks like the flash slides into the slot, and then you tighten the screw into the flash. Looks sturdy though. The bracket arrangement is pretty interesting, especially with the scope (now I know how I can attach mine). Let me know if you you're going to get rid of the back, we can arrange a swap... I've probably got something in my box of parts you might want.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
guz guz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replay.

Quote:

2..If you want to take flash pictures then you need a solenoid, and go thru the process of setting it up. I see no contacts on the shutter.

What kind of solenoid? ...

Quote:

3.. The Graflok frame should fit. Since it has a Graflex back, the type 5 film holders will not work, and you will need to look for the older type.

Why? what's the difference between type5 and the others?. Where does #5s fit anyway?... just curious.

Quote:

If you are making a user and don't care about being correct, then replace the lens with one with M-X sync, A Graflite flash with bracket and clamps. And if you are going to only use film holders or Grafmatic, then a Spring back or Graflok back. Just my thoughts. Russ

I would like to keep the parts of this camera as original as posible (being correct , but in the other hand I like the idea of explore the practical posibilities. I think I will try both ways.
This camera really got a hold on me.
Guz
guz guz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So YOU'RE the won that won that camera...

Yessssss... I had to learn the dirty trick of bidding

Quote:

yeah, I was watching it too. I've never seen a mount like that, where it looks like the flash slides into the slot, and then you tighten the screw into the flash. Looks sturdy though. The bracket arrangement is pretty interesting, especially with the scope (now I know how I can attach mine).

So fare I have seen six diferent types of brackets, although in the manual I only can see three... I really don't know wich one is the right one for the K range finder that I have.

Quote:

Let me know if you you're going to get rid of the back, we can arrange a swap... I've probably got something in my box of parts you might want.

jeff

I'll keep it in mind.
Actually I'm planning to keep the original parts as a documental and historic background of the camera (I think I am turning into a kind of Graflex' fan or something...), any way, if I change my mind I'll let you know.
Guz
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubular viewfinder and the rangefinder were all added later. Probably during the war when you couldn't get a new Graphic and Graflex was pushing their ReNeWal program, which allowed owners to upgrade their old camera.

I actully think this is anF rangefinder rather than a K. I thought the Fs stuck up above the top and were externally linked.
I'm not sure what brand of flash was used on that particular bracket but Heiland used something similar.

For practical reasons, I would find a spring back (they show up cheap on ebay) and a different lens. This compur shutter isn't the easiest to set up for sync flash and finding all of the parts will be difficult.

this back used Graflex film holders which are wider and have a groove along the long side. Since they are no longer standard they are hard to find and more expensive than swapping out the back and using common film holders.

Regular film holders came in type 4 and Type 5. they both will fit most any camera. The type 4 is slightly shorter and has only one ridge for a light trap. The type5 came out around WWII and is longer. It sticks out slightly beyond the back of the camera which allows a second light trap and a better way of grabing the holder. All modern film holders are type 5.
vic valis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand wanting to keep the parts: I'm restoring several old Speeds, and I'm keeping parts tat are busted and useless, and I really don't know why. If I ran a museum and was setting up a display, it might make sense... instead, I just think I'm a little batty. My little bidding trick: watch the time left on the item on one window with your max bid ready to finalize on another window... yeah, I just made it a little harder to beat my competiton here, but sometimes not winning what I want has it's benefits: such as making rent at the beginning of the month!

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: