Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Graflite 2773
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like tht double flash Speed is back on Ebay with those strange clamps. Item 3001462190. Russ
Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO VIC: The Synchronar battery case is postwar. Prior model(s) - but still postwar-did not have any name, and had battery caps with knurling for gripping the cap. Some later ones had an octagon cap with the threads that screw the cap onto the battery case visible. Refinements were continually occuring, and next was the octagon base cap but the threads were not visible.
The 76 'Heavy Duty Clamp' (Heiland description) was for the 'Pacemaker Crown or Speed Graphic "45". Encircles the Kalart rangefinder and attaches both to the rangefinder 'strip' and the body of the camera. The 'standard clamp' has a single encircling ring and a knob that tightens the clamp to the 'strip' on the Kalart rangefinder, or more commonly on the other Heiland right angle camera brackets.
My catalogs circa late '49-'50'ish, do not show a 73 Clamp.
There was a 'Quick release clamp' looks like the standard one but with a Red button on top for a fast removal. Beleive these were Honeywell/Heiland, perhaps late '50's.

[ This Message was edited by: Lensman on 2003-01-18 16:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Lensman on 2003-01-18 16:48 ]
cavphotog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bracket is a Heiland Research 64R, described earlier as a quick release. As I described above, it has an angled slot on the bottom of the bracket and a spring arrangement on the top. I long ago figured out how this worked and made a usable arrangement. The bracket is attached to the viewfinder base at the top and directly to the body on the bottom.
What I really wanted to know from my previous post was the age of the bracket tht is most commonly associated with the '48 and later 2773, and if at least this type bracket and/or the push button Graflite style clamps existed during the war.I have this encircling bracket with a plate mounted for the two Graflite clamps. It also has provision for the Kalart style "rail".

I have two Annies, at least one of which will be set up as period correct for WWII living history displays and some re-enacting.
All the newer items will be kept with my Pacemaker.

P.S The camera which has recently resurfaced on e-bay apparently has the same Heiland bracket as one of mine.
cavphotog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape of the bracket is the same but mine does not attach to the rfdr body. At least I now know what the clamps are supposed to look like.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really wanted to know from my previous post was the age of the bracket tht is most commonly associated with the '48 and later 2773, and if at least this type bracket and/or the push button Graflite style clamps existed during the war.

I'm confused. the 2773 the number for the Graflite. The Graflite uses two removable clamps that can attach to the leather handle mount if you want to, or there is a one piece bracket that will screw onto a Kalart RF or the 5/*8" strip found on the side of Top RF Pacemakers.

The Graflite, and it's brackets came out around '49 or '50 so it's post WWII.

While the 5/8" strip was a popular bracket, and many other adapters were screwed to it, there are a few other brackets from the war era that would be proper.

cavphotog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware that the 2773 was post war, I was just wondering if the clamps used with it existed during the war, or if those also date from '48. I have a surround bracket and plate that will accept them, also 2- 1773 flashes that I can use until I find a Heiland (or two) and the correct brackets.I know the Graflite clamps will clip into the handle brackets on a Pacemaker and later cameras but the Annie has a different type of handle bracket.
The older of the Annies has the Heiland 64R bracket and HR synchronizer. It was my late father's and will likely not see much field use. The pics of the relisted double flash unit now on e-bay at least show me what I should be looking for iin the way of clamps for the Heiland quick release bracket.

The other I will be actively using and if in a reenactment situation would like to use something stronger than the rail on the rfdr housing as a flash support, the whole being held on the camera body with four small wood screws.

I carried both a Pacemaker and a Busch in the army in the early '60's and learned that having a bracket that helps protect the rangefinder is preferable to using the rangefinder as the support for the flash. I am careful with my equipment but accidents do happen.

This is a great site. I haven't been here for a long while as I have been pursuing a related project.(The Kodak "Darkroom in a Box")for setting up a field processing operation. Thanks for all your help.
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Heiland "73" bracket is identical to the "76" except for the finish, which seems to be bare steel instead of the chromed surface.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: