Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info about Heiland flashes, solenoids...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general question as to about when Heiland flashes were manufactured and/or in use. I'm looking into trying out flashbulb photography, and of course the ubergeeks out there paying $200 for a Graflite makes those rare. The Heilands look like a less expensive alternative, but I was wondering when they and/or their solenoids were in use. I'm period-sensitive about the camera I'm going to be restoring. Thanks.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first editon Grahic graflex photography printed in Jan '40 says of the Heiland "sol" synchronizer:
the Heiland"SOL" Synchronizer is manufactured by the Heiland Research corp and has been used by press photographers for many years.

heiland is not mentioned in Graphic Graflex Photography again, but Abbey and Mendelsohn are. These would be equally accurate for an Anniversary or Pre-Ann. If you look at movies from the 40s you'll see very few Graflex flashes, Mostly HRs and Mendelsohns as they had the momentum

jchamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea of the exact dates, but I know they were used around 1953. My 4x5 Crown came as a "complete" camera kit, with case, camera, Heiland flash, bulbs, Tiffen filters, cords, backs, all the manuals, meter, and letters the orig. owner had written to Graflex Inc back in April of 1953 asking about his lens.

The camera came with a Compur Rapid shutter with a Heiland solenoid attached. Part of the paperwork stuffed into the case was a small Heiland flash brochure which talks about the flashes and sychronizers. The pamphlet is dated 1953 (as is everything else that came with the camera). One of the statements made in the brochure is "over 3 out of 4 of all major newspapers use Heiland flash equipment". I have no idea if there is (was) any truth to that statement.

Mine doesn't look like it's ever been used, although I'm sure it was. I've never used it, but it sure looks cool mounted on the camera!

Good luck!
rsdean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father's Graphic was equipped with a Heiland flash in 1949 when he bought it. I haven't tried it yet, as its synch cable has deteriorated and I'd like to get a new synch cable (does Midwest have them? what do I ask for?) have the shutter cleaned and adjusted before expending any of my very limited supply of flash bulbs. With the bad cable I've at least tested the solenoid and that part works...

Rob Dean
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To determine what cord you need, look at the sync contacts on your shutter, and on the flash to be used. A lot of the shutters of that era used on Graphic cameras used "double post" [two prongs sticking out] connections. Kodak used a single post with bayonet lugs on it [ASA post]. A few shutters used the European standard PC connection. On the other end, for flash bulbs, the household plug [just like a lamp plug] was the norm. If you're going to use a newer electronic flash, you might have to have one made for your shutter/flash combination by Paramount Cords.

There are several good sources for used sync cables. Midwest Photo, which you mentioned, and my favorite Pacific Rim Camera are good for used cables.

Just be very careful in picking what you need. Some of the Heiland and Graflex connections differed from each other [competition preventing cross-over I suppose].

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-11-12 05:21 ]
rsdean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be very careful in picking what you need. Some of the Heiland and
Graflex connections differed from each other [competition preventing
cross-over I suppose].

Just so...that's my question. It's definitely a household to bipole cord, but if there is more than one bipole variety I need to figure out how to describe it.

Rob Dean
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, for the bi-pole shutter sync, the Heiland and Graflex cords have the same dimensions. Sorry if I confused you on that.

When I said "connections" I had in mind the cords for the solenoids. The Heiland takes a female cord, I believe, while the Graflex takes a male. Also, the focuspot cords have different connections for plugging the cord into the battery case.

sobahguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSDEAN,
Have a look at the photos on these 2 web pages to see if they look like what you have. The standard household-to-twin bipost coil cord is a stock item (as opposed to a special made-to-order "custom" cord) which you may likely find in a well-stocked "Pro" camera shop, for this is just the place i found mine, even though i had to drive 50 miles!! north of Boston. Browse around on Paramount's site because they do have a HUGE selection available.

http://www.paramountcords.com/graflex.htm

http://www.paramountcords.com/Bipost.asp
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Honeywell Strobonar 71A, AKA a Heiland Strobonar 71A with a Honeywell "H" logo added. The "manual" for the flash is titled Heiland Strobonar 71A and is dated 1956. Hope that helps some.

Ed
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started this thread and in the mean time I've been off on the camera board getting pointers on the restoration of my various cameras (curently on hold with the press of the Silly Season). I did manage, however, to pick up a Graflex flash (not advertised as "lightsaber," and thus affordable). So now I have Graflite model #2773 with a 5 inch reflector. Now my question is: what was the range of time this model was used? The manual has a '50s look to it, but it might be a more recent manual to an item that had been around for years.

jeff
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget we have great resources ready for consultation in Graflex.org. For instance, in answer to this question, Graflite flashes were used from 10/48 to 1975.

Look here:
http://www.graflex.org/graflex-products-list.html
Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the early version of the 5 inch reflector used a plastic socket around the bulb and the reflector wasn't removable.

The much more common version uses metal fingers to hold the bulb and the reflector comes off with a quarter twist and pull.

The early version was used until '54 I think. I had one of these and did realize it. I found a Graflex bayonet-to-M2 flash adapter and the box said "for post '54 5" reflectors only"

Well it wouldn't go in mine so I forced it.

I guess it needed replacing anyway.
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I knew there was a products/accessories page somewhere on the site and had seen it before, but was never able to find my way back. I'm going to have fun with my model 2773 no doubt... already have a supply of bulbs on it's way, but was wondering what flashes besides Graflex may have been used during the second world war. I'm a borderline USAAF enthusiast, and would really love to show up at some re-enactor's event some time in as authentic a get-up as possible (I hear they get very strict at these things). Any other manufacturers producing flashes for use with Speed Graphics at the time? Any other sites with useful information?

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the exception of getting lost in the National Archives for a week, I wouldn't know how you'd figure out who made flash units for Uncle Sam.

I certainly would assume Heiland, Mendelson and Abbey were around and they wouldn't want to be left out of guarranteed profits.

Now the Graflite is post WWII and they did make them in all black for the Govern't. I assume it went with the KE 12 which was OD Green and did not have a body release.

cavphotog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII vintage Graphics were Anniversary models with a variety of flashes, mostly Heilands. They were bought up from any available source at the beginning of the war, chrome and all. All- black cameras were made later, with black flashes. The OD cameras were post- war. If you are into this area of history and photography check out http://www.warcos.org, then join the group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: