Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exposure for print film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vljenewein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really sad, as I have forgotten what exposure latitude print film has. If I over expose a small bit, do I get more color saturation and contrast? I have some pictures back and some are pretty good, and others look kind of hazy, and not as good of color and contrast. What ever it is, I know it's just the opposite for transparency film.
Vernon
jenefarm@direcway.com

Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Les

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most companies rate print film to have a latitude of 3 stops but Kodak max claimed an 8 stop latitude.

I usually rate my print film at 1/2 to one stop less than the asa giving me 1/2 to one stop more on the film. I have gotten great results with 400 rated at 100. I even got an image one time shooting the old 1000 color 8 stops over!! . color shift was obvious and the highlights were.. ah lacking detail but hey there was a very good image!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-11-16 20:49 ]
Frost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Les, if I understand this, then my Kodak Vericolor 160, I should shoot at, and figure it as, ASA 100? It is past dated just a bit, but been in the refrigerator. When I noticed that it was getting past dated, I put one block in the freezer, and have some more in the refrigerator. The expiration or use before date is: 12/2000 .

Along those terms, just how far past the date can one get reasonably good results on color film? The Vericolor 160 is NOT as brigth and color saturated as some of the newer Kodak film I have used.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had been frozen all this time I'd say it's as good as new, I'd shoot one test roll rate half at 100 rate half at 80 and see what you get.

The difficulty is that the printing adds a variable that you can't control.

I'm not sure how far out you can take c41. I've had good results with two years out, but haven't done any good tests on the idea. Frozen B&W is nearly indefinite.
Frost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Les, If I understand the posting right I should set my ASA on my Gossen MultiPro at ASA 125 or 100 for my Vericolor 160 to get increased color saturation and contrast. Now that actually contradicts a post I received at the ebay "photography equipment" forum. I was told there that if I underexpose print film slightly I will have increased color saturation and contrast.

Cheers!
aka vljenewein
Vernon Jenewein
jenefarm@direcway.com
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-17 06:43, Frost wrote:
Ok, Les, If I understand the posting right I should set my ASA on my Gossen MultiPro at ASA 125 or 100 for my Vericolor 160 to get increased color saturation and contrast. Now that actually contradicts a post I received at the ebay "photography equipment" forum. I was told there that if I underexpose print film slightly I will have increased color saturation and contrast.

Um, perhaps the poster on eBay was confused. Underexposing slide film slightly increases saturation, overexposing it decreases saturation. And yes, I can read and know you're asking about negative, not reversal, film.

Cheers,

Dan

If you have film to spare, why don't you just do the experiment? Then you'll know.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I expose 400 ISO chromogenic b/w print film (Kodak TC400N and Ilford XP2 Super) at 100 ISO, i.e., "overexposed" by two stops. Otherwise, no shadow detail. These C-41 films are very exposure tolerant, but not at their rated speeds (at least, not for me)!
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'd set the meter for 100 for the first half and shoot some in bright sun some in deep shade. Then set the meter to 80 and repeat.

The less light you get to negative film the less there is to print from- remember it starts out clear (unexposed) so to under expose neg film will lead to a noticeable gain in grain and a loss of contrast--if you underexpose it enough it will look like your looking at it through a ground glass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: