Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graflite flash brackets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerforce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a graflite flash for my speed graphic and I just bought to brackets off of ebay to mount the flash onto the camera but I don't know how.

I have a smallstrip of metal on my rangefinder that I thought was the mounting bracket but i can't see how to mount the flash brackets onto the bracket/ strip of metal on my kalart rangefinder. am I missing some part?

alecj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are missing the bracket which mounts on that "strip" which has openings to accept those clamps you bought. That strip was used by older Graflex flash units [the ones now being converted by starwars fans]. You can find those brackets around. Try Midwest Photo, Pacific Rim Photo, or Stephen Shuart. Hopefully, your strip already has the threaded holes tapped in it to accept that bracket. If not, you've really got a problem.
rangerforce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. the strip has one teeny tiney screw on it other than that it's just a flat strip of metal attached to the kalart rangefinder.

clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused...as usual. I thought the brackets for a Graflite Flash attached to the lugs on the side of the camera opposite the Kalart Rangefinder...the lugs where the leather strap is attached. Remove the strap and attach the flash. The bottom bracket slips onto the bottom lug...and the top bracket clips onto the top lug...and has a push-button release the remove it. Am I wrong on this? I don't have a Graflite flash...I have a Kalart that slips onto the strip on the Kalart Rangefinder and tightens with a large knurled knob. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct but there's more. Check the camera in this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1391560277

You'l notice it has yet another bracket attached by screws to the Kalart bracket that's attached to the Kalart rangefinder.

This allows the Graflite flash, or anyflash with Graflite clamps to attach to the right side and keep the leather handle in place or put a second flash on the left side.

clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see!! The metal strip on my 3 Kalart Rangefinders have the little tapped holes for attaching the lugs for the Graflte brackets, by golly. Thanks for the info. Never too old to learn. Fred.
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, until you get another bracket to attach to your rangefinder, reverse the clamps on your battery case and use it on the handle lugs on the left side. To ensure it doesn't drop off, establish the bottom clamp with the camera sitting on a flat surfact. That way, the battery case won't be lower than the camera. Tighten it up, after you ensure the battery case is rotated to orient the flash reflector parallel to the back. Then slip the upper clamp up the case until it FULLY engages the upper lug. Keeping it pushed up against the lug [look around the side to make sure you see the top of the clamp protruding out the top of the lug] then lock it down. You certainly don't want to be left holding just the flash! Frankly I like the flash on that side anyway, since it lets you hold the camera with the left hand while doing all the other work with your right. I never did really understand why they stuck that flash on the right side anyway.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi....
Just by chance, this was just recently listed.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1392574051
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! If you order one from him - that's Stephen Shuart - ask him for the bolts you need to install it. Your plate should be threaded, and you want no hassles installing it. Alternatively, if you find one elsewhere w/o it, they say toy stores selling toy trains and parts have a lot of small bolts, and you'll have to find the right size. They are round headed, and you need a washer under each one. Experiment with length because the hole is limited by the distance of the plate from the rangefinder housing.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-10-24 19:14 ]
Astrobeej

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.

I have one of those Kalart Rangefinders that does NOT have any tapped holes for mounting the flash bracket to. My instruction manual shows what it calls an "encircling bracket" that mounts to the camera body just above and below the rangefinder, and the flash bracket attaches to it. I've been searching high and low for one of these. I've written Fred Lustig, but got no reply. Anybody have any leads for me?

Thanks,
B.J. West
alecj

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Shuart has them for $20.

http://www.stephenshuart.com/#lgfmtacces

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-05-23 15:16 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: