Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6x9 backs for the XL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get a 6x9 roll holder for my XL and was wondering what are the options (other makers) to consider in addition to the Graflex RH-8?
Also, how about size; does it matter? What I mean is, I realize that these backs all give a less than 6x9cm image, but which ones are closest to this nominal size?
One more thing: I'd like to get a 2x3 Speed or Crown, or a Century Graphic in the future, does anyone know which non-graflex backs will fit these cameras, as well as the XL?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Alf
Ps- This site is great!

Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back for the original Mamiya RB67 is a direct copy of the Graphic roll film holder. These come in 120 and 220 variations, but give a 6x7 image not a 6x9. Now unless you print your own work, or pay for custom prints, 6x9 gets cropped to 6x7.

The later Mamiya back, called a Pro back or maybe a Pro S adds an interlock feature that you can't use. It still fits, but you'll be paying for bells you can't ring.

As long as you get a roll film holder that fits a Graflok back and not a Graflex back the holder will fit both the XL and either of the Crown Century or Speed with a Graflok back or even a Mini Speed with the adapter springs.

The first time I tried to put this combination together I couldn't get the back to fit the camera (a Speed I think) later I didn't have any trouble at all. I don't have a clue as to why, but I suggest you try before you buy.

Suydam also made a 120 back that is very simple and uses the red windows to check the film advance.
antjam65

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Graflex, Horseman and Wista 6x9 backs and I think they're all fine. The Horseman and Wista are a lot smoother to operate, and are really impresssive in terms of build quality. I also think they are a little longer in the 9cm direction than the Graflex, but neither gives a full 9cm wide exposure.

I find that the Horseman ONLY fits on the XL Graflok back, while the Wista will also fit my Century (it doesn't 'slide' in like the Graflex backs, but has to be kind of 'centered' and placed onto the Graflok back). For some reason, neither back fits my 2x3 Speed.

Despite the super quality of the Horseman and Wista backs, I actually mostly use the knob-wind Graflex back! (No flames, please!) The one I have has the 'pin rollers', so I suppose it is an older insert in a newer, RH-8 shell. The reason I like it is that when I am doing close-up/macro work (a recent favorite of mine) advancing the film via the knob puts less force (torque?) on the camera/tripod set-up and minimizes the chances that my carefully, precisely, back-breakingly, ground glass-composed image will not be shifted by the action of advancing the film (still gotta be careful when switching from the ground glass to the roll holder, though). As smooth as the Horseman and Wista backs are, the knob wind Graflex back is a little better in this regard. I have not noticed any film flatness problems, either. I also have a lever wind RH-8, which is not as suitable as the Graflex lever takes quite a bit of force to operate, relatively speaking.

Of course, if I'm walking around shooting with my XL the lever wind backs are preferable. I prefer the smoothness and, mostly, the silence of the Horseman and Wista backs when I'm out with the XL, but since they were so expensive I do get a little paranoid about scraping them against my belt buckle, etc.

I also find that while the shells of the Horseman and Wista backs are longer than the Graflex backs (you'll see what I mean if you compare them), they are a little less deep, which helps a bit in getting your eye close to the XL viewfinder.

I do, however, find that all these backs work about the same when I forget to take the dark slide out!

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: