Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with flash sync.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
campy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my sync. cable from paramount to go with my vivitar 285.
What do I set my shutter speed at?
The camera is a crown graphic with a 135mm lens with a black M a red M a red F and a black X.
I assume the black X for electronic flash.
With my other cameras I set it for 1/60th.
Do I set it for 1/50 or 1/100? Do I have to compensate for anything?
I hope these are not too stupid of a question.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 14:09, campy wrote:
I just got my sync. cable from paramount to go with my vivitar 285.
What do I set my shutter speed at?
The camera is a crown graphic with a 135mm lens with a black M a red M a red F and a black X.
I assume the black X for electronic flash.
With my other cameras I set it for 1/60th.
Do I set it for 1/50 or 1/100? Do I have to compensate for anything?
I hope these are not too stupid of a question.
If you select the "X", your shutter will sync with electronic flash at all speeds.

When not sure, try it out with the lens off of the camera. Put the flash head up against the lens and see the speeds at which it will project the flash.
campy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. I only tried a couple of speeds and it shows thru. But what is confusing me is if it is set for 1/200 wouldn't that let in twice as much light as say 1/400? I just seem to have a mental block on leaf shutters and electronic flash.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-12 05:30, campy wrote:
Thanks for your response. I only tried a couple of speeds and it shows thru. But what is confusing me is if it is set for 1/200 wouldn't that let in twice as much light as say 1/400? I just seem to have a mental block on leaf shutters and electronic flash.
No. The flash fires much much more rapidly than the shutter. The shutter uncovers the film, the flash goes, the shutter covers the film. With chemical flash (bulbs) the fire burns for a while, so with it the shutter does indeed control how much light the film receives.

Always use the highest shutter speed available with electronic flash to minimize the risk of ghosting from ambient light.

Cheers,

Dan
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Always use the highest shutter speed available with electronic flash to minimize the risk of ghosting from ambient light.

Dan is right [of course!]. No matter what the shutter speed setting, on X sync ALL the light from the flash will be utilized. The only variant is how much of the existing, background light you want. And, if outdoors, do you want the background to be dark, normal, or something else. Using electronic flash outdoors, as fill in flash only, takes some practice to get all the variables to work if you want it to appear natural.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Use thie highest speed possilble" I agree to a point. Certainly anything below 1/250 will be fine with any flash that you an carry , but I noticed a 1.5 stop loss on my Hassy with a Metz ct-1 when using at 1/500.

My Hassy excluded, electronic flash takes about 1/400-1/500th of a second to fire. So, a 1/400 shutter or a 1/60th shutter won't have an effect on the amount of light FROM THE FLASH. But, like everyone else has said, the shutter speed does effect the room or ambient light.

Let say you are shooting the President of a fortune 250 company in his office with a nice view of the Empire State Building and Central Park. I't's a bright sunny day outside.

If you shoot say f11 at 1/400 with tmax 400. The flourescent lights won't be bright enough to register, nor will his $5,000 desklight. But your flash will illuminate everything inside (you've carefully positioned yourself to minimize flash reflections in the glass) The scene outside will be wonderfully exposed. Your editor rejects your chromes because the president is poorly lit--harsh front flash-- and your eye is drawn outside the window.

Now drop the shutter speed down to 1/15 or a 1/30, use a tripod, and all the fancy interior lights will "come on" in the photo, the flash will fill in the shadows nicely, but the exterior scene will be hopelessly overexposed. The assistant editor (editor went to lunch) rejects your chromes because while the subject is now beautifully light, he hates the overexposed windows and he can't see what's out there. You try to reschedule at just before dusk, but the prez went to Bora Bora for a couple of days.
campy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I think I understand it now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: