Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hudgek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Kelly, and am new to this forum. I have lurked in the background for a while gleaning much useful information. This is an excellent site, and has answered many questions.

I have been "putting together" a Century 2x3 for a break into larger negatives. I have mostly used 35mm, but in high school days used a Speed graphic 3x4.
My project has so far involved dismantling 3 cameras to gather the best pieces to make one. I have mounted a detachable Linhof anatomical grip, and modern flash shoe, and a Schneider APO Symmar 100mm lens in copal 0 shutter.
My intention is to use 120/220 roll film with this camera. I bought an RH-10 which appears to leak light occasionally. I am so far unable to tell if it is the RH-10, or if it just doesn't fit tightly enough to the back of the camera body. When locked into place with the Graflok slide levers, it has a bit of movement to it. Is this a normal situation, or should it fit more snugly?

Thanks for a great Graflex web site!
Kelly

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check out the rollback! Remove the holder from the case....with the darkslide in place, hold the housing up to a bright light, and check for leaks! Check the assembled holder on the Graflok, by removing the lensboard and checking at all angles against a bright light, while looking thru the bellows! Check the Graflok back frame itself, there should be 2 horizontal strips of light trap material there, it could be worn out or flattened! The rollback should not slide around, so you might need to provide some felt as additional light trap and/or gap filler! Felt is avail in squares for about 25 cents at most arts and craft stores! Bert
hudgek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will have to give it the old MagLight test to see what's up.
I do have the two felt strips on the back of the camera, but I wondered if they were overly flat. They are barely raised from the case. If I glues some new felt strips on, wouldn't that hold the film plane farther back than it should be?

Thanks for your reply!
Kelly
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly,

Yes, the rollfilm backs on my Century do move slightly from side to side when locked down with the Graflok slide locks. Obviously I try to avoid moving the film back, but removing and re-inserting the dark slide will cause it to move. I don't know of a way to prevent this, or whether it is causing a problem.

I have carefully gone over each of my film backs and have laid narrow strips of black gaffer tape in all light trap grooves. Black electrical tape should work as well; just make sure it is the cloth, not the plastic, type. (I lay the tape on a piece of glass and cut the narrow strips with a single edge razor blade and metal straight edge.) When winding on, I use my right thumb on the lever advance while holding the film holder firmly against the camera body with the left thumb. Also, when shooting in bright light (sun falling directly on the camera back), I shield the back of the camera with the dark cloth.

By means of all of these precautions I have eliminated almost all occurrences of light-struck film, although occasionally there is still some exposure along the film edge. I can live with that as long as it doesn't intrude on the image!
hudgek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, after further examination of the fuzzy light trap strips I think I will try your tape trick.

Come to think of it, placed in the correct places I'll bet a little of the same tape in the areas that the graflok back slides engage might tighten the whole fit of the film back. (Red Green would be proud!)

Now, where is that dadgum tape?!

Kelly
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly,

I got my black gaffer tape at my friendly neighborhood black gaffer tape supply store. Just kidding. Truth to tell, a couple of rolls of it stuck to my fingers backstage when I was playing in the pit orchestra for musical theater at the college where I used to teach.
A roll of it is the same size and shape as your ordinary duct tape, but it's a stout black fabric. If you know any theater types out there in Boise I'm sure they could accommodate you.
hudgek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

The techniques you describe, about holding the film back when winding and etc. sound like good advice to me. Thanks.

Now, if I can just hold out for the weekend to try another shoot to prove it,I'll be doing okay. Busy, busy, busy...
Kelly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: