Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filter-size confusion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a set of Kodak Series VI filters with lens hood and adapter ring. My lenses are approx. 30.5mm O.D., 103mm and 105mm. The adapter ring is a bayonet 37mm. Too big. Thought I'd look for a Series V. Found one. Adapter ring is 28.5 mm. Too small.(Didn't buy it.) Were different size adapter rings made for the same series? Did they make a 30.5mm adapter ring for a Series VI, for example? The threads on the Series VI stuff I have are approx. 43.5mm. Fred.
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Fred, they did make LOTS of different sized adapter rings for each series of filters. Those are common-sized lenses. Millions were made. Don't give up - keep looking.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-08-30 06:01 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply...will do. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to give you a "big picture" of the situation, Kodak settled on (for the most part) 5 sizes of filters to handle 99% of all the lenses on the market from 8mm movie camera lenses to the largest of the portrait lenses in common use at the time. These were named Series IV (4) through VIII (, later series 9 was added.

Series IV is used primarily by movie cameras, The other 4 handled all lenses from 3/4" through 2 5/8"
Series V was used on a lot of 35mm and some 120folders, Series VI was on most folders and just about all of the standard Press lenses, Series VII and VIII were used on the lenses common on 5x7 and 8x10 cameras.

For Series VI there are 10 fractional push on filter adapters, plus thre screw in adapters for certain cameras (I think the Ektra was one and the Wide Field 80mm was another)

For Series VII there are 6 press on filters adapters.

double check my math but I think 30.5 mm is very clsoe to 1.25", so you'll need a 1 1/4" to Series VI slip on adapter.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les...according to my metric/fractional handy-dandy T-square, 30.5mm IS very close to 1-1/4". I have found a 31.5mm on the site you loosely referred to as a compost heap...have bid on it...and hope I can make it work on my lenses. Thanks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine. The tabs on the slip end are adjustable and I think 0.5mm is well within their range.

Les

Henry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Les is correct: Kodak did make 10 sizes of series VI slip-rings. According to their pamphlet "Kodak Filters and other Lens Attachments," dated 1/52, the series VI sizes began with 1-1/4" and extended up to 1-21/32" (!!). The Kodak 1-1/4" slip ring is labelled 31.5 mm. A 30.5 mm (= 1.2") slip ring would be the equivalent of 1-3/16" (=1.1875") and would therefore fall into series V, where it would be the largest ring in that series. I think clnfrd would do better with the 30.5mm/1-3/16" ring than if he tried to bend down the 31.5mm/1-1/4" ring. This is based on my experience of trying to "make do" with wrong-sized slip rings by bending the prongs in or out. It's a frustrating exercise and the results are never as good as having the right size in the first place. Plus it produces all those bunged-up slip rings that one sees in abundance at camera shows. Kodak also made a series V to series VI adapter ring, so if you already had series VI filters you could use them on the smaller diameter lenses.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-09-01 00:41 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les & Henry once again for your valuable info. Henry...you have a 101mm lens for your Century...same as I do. Is the 30.5mm/1-3/16" adapter ring the size you use? I just re-measured my 101mm Ektar, 101mm Raptar, and 103mm Trioptar, and unless my ruler is off (I don't have a micrometer) I get 1-1/4", 31.5mm, or closer to that than 1-3/16" and 30.5mm. Please correct me if my measurements are wrong. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-09-01 13:34 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Fred---

Right you are, the 101mm Optar takes the 31.5mm (1-1/4") slip ring. In fact all three of my Optars work with series VI. The 65mm takes a modified (slightly enlarged) 33mm (nominal 1-5/16") slip-ring, and the 203 takes a 39.5mm (1-9/16") slip-ring. The 31.5mm size was one of the common ones. I picked up several at camera shows in the Delaware Valley (Philadelphia) area over the years, as well as the others. If you live in an area that has these shop & swap events you will probably find what you're looking for in person rather than having to deal at long distance sight unseen.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info, Henry. I am not aware of any shop and swap events in my immediate area. I am just off of I-24 in Western Kentucky, 2-1/2 hours northwest of Nashville, TN. There are a couple of the Series VI 31.5mm adapter rings on e-you-know-what right now. I've been outbid on the one...so I'll keep trying. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-01 17:22, clnfrd wrote:
Thanks very much for the info, Henry. I am not aware of any shop and swap events in my immediate area. I am just off of I-24 in Western Kentucky, 2-1/2 hours northwest of Nashville, TN. There are a couple of the Series VI 31.5mm adapter rings on e-you-know-what right now. I've been outbid on the one...so I'll keep trying. Fred.
Fred, if you can get to Cincinnati without much trouble, there's a camera flea market there late next month. I don't have the details ready to hand, can find them if you want to go.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan, but Cincinnati is a pretty good little trip from me. I have bought a 1-1/4", 31.5mm Series VI adapter ring, which should do the trick. So here's another filter question: I have a Kodak Series VI Wratten K2, X1, and A (yellow, green, and red) for B&W photography. The red, for example has a filter factor of 6 when used with Kodak Tri-X. I'm using Ilford HP-5 which I'm assuming is a rough equivalent. The question is, do you divide the f-stop by the filter factor to compensate for the light loss through the filter? In other words, if the correct exposure was f16, 16/6= f2.7? That's a heck of a loss, if correct, since my lenses are 4.5 max. Fred.
Whoa...wait a minute, Dan. The wife says she would love to go to Cincinnati, so please do give me more info re the meet there. Thanks. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-09-03 13:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-09-03 14:38 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-03 13:53, clnfrd wrote:
Thanks, Dan, but Cincinnati is a pretty good little trip from me.
Whoa...wait a minute, Dan. The wife says she would love to go to Cincinnati, so please do give me more info re the meet there. Thanks. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-09-03 14:38 ]
Fred, here's the contact information I got from Shutterbug.

9/21-22 Ohio Camera Swap. Medallion Event Center-Sports Plus, Cincinnati, OH.
e-mail: cameras@one.net
tel: 5130891-5266

Hope this helps. I don't know about Cincinnati. My wife grows her own peppers and these days Cincinnati style chili, even five ways, seems a bit tame.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I heard that! Got a few Habaneros, Pronghorns (new), and Cayennes growing myself. Thanks. Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filter factor of 2 = 1 stop exposure. Filter factor of 1 = .5 (1/2) stop exposure.
FF 6 = 3 SE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: