Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front door on Crown Graphic Won't Stay Closed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPrice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my 1947 4X5 Crown Graphic I bought on ebay and the front door will not stay closed. Could someone tell me how to adjust it or how to fix properly ? I researched this web site before I bought but I didn't think to ask does the front door stay closed.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the door open to standard shooting position look at the top edge of the body just above the bellows on the inside. At the center should be a piece of spring steel that comes out to the edge of the body. (just under the graflex in the chrome trim) When looked at from the side it should have a hook shape simular to a V and be < 1/8 inch below the inside edge of the body.
Now look at the bed front edge. There should be a chrome trim strip just under the rails and guides the width of the thinner area. The v portion of the spring steel should catch the lower edge of the chrome strip. If either is bent, bowed, or otherwise malformed the camera has been pried open and one must reform the approiate piece to fix it.
To remove the spring steel catch the leatherette on the top of the camera would have to be partially removed. To remove the trim strip carefully pry under the edge working across the run until it comes off. Compressing it to where it requires pressure to get it back into place for reinstallation.
Charles

KPrice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I will check the camera out this morning. I emailed the seller about the door of the camera last night but have not heard back. You think the door had been pried open? I think I had better check out the camera for other problems. What other major things should I check out? Should I take the camera to a repair place for the door and to have it checked out? Thanks for the help.
Quote:

On 2002-08-30 19:06, 45PSS wrote:
With the door open to standard shooting position look at the top edge of the body just above the bellows on the inside. At the center should be a piece of spring steel that comes out to the edge of the body. (just under the graflex in the chrome trim) When looked at from the side it should have a hook shape simular to a V and be < 1/8 inch below the inside edge of the body.
Now look at the bed front edge. There should be a chrome trim strip just under the rails and guides the width of the thinner area. The v portion of the spring steel should catch the lower edge of the chrome strip. If either is bent, bowed, or otherwise malformed the camera has been pried open and one must reform the approiate piece to fix it.
To remove the spring steel catch the leatherette on the top of the camera would have to be partially removed. To remove the trim strip carefully pry under the edge working across the run until it comes off. Compressing it to where it requires pressure to get it back into place for reinstallation.
Charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: