Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crown graphic, graflex back (?) problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manifestdestiny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a crown graphic with what i was told is a graflex back. it's the standard 4x5 spring-type back, it accepts sheet film holders, my 545i polaroid back, quickload holders, etc.

the problem: i'm looking into buying a rollfilm back, and i've been trying to dismantle the back in anticipation of a new one. i have the two chrome sliding locks with tabs, one above, one below, but the tabs are not engaging anything. when i slide the tabs out of the way, the back still does not come off. any suggestions? this is getting weirder and weirder every day as i wonder how to remove the back from the camera i've been shooting with for over a year already...

thanks so much...
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the chrome slide locks, are there chrome arms about 1/8 inch wide that parallel the hinged portion from insertion edge to center that are ribbed at the center end?? If so press down or in toward the camera on the ribbed area then out toward the insertion side of the camera.

manifestdestiny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply...

there are most definitely ribbed arms as you described...i'm trying to press on them in that way, as well as any other way, but nothing is budging.

any other suggestions?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.! You have a GRAFLOK. (or so it seems) If it hasn't been removed in a while it may be stuck. Push it as far as possible to the left (non insertion side) then try again. Read more about it here: http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack
And read this recent post if you haven't.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=915&forum=12&2
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-08-30 22:44 ]
manifestdestiny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your directions were excellent, as it turns out there is a certain angle the assembly must be at to slide off of the back. i was forcing the insertion-side upwards at a really inappropriate angle, assuming that would be the way to remove it. brilliant.

i also realized that i mis-typed my first message, i meant to say that it had a graflok back, not a "graflex" back. i made sure that i bought a camera with a graflok back, but had convinced myself that somehow my camera had turned into a different model since i was unable to remove the ground glass like everybody else with a graflok-equipped crown graphic.

anyway, it works fine now. thanks much...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: