Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wollensak Raptor 101 f/4.5 It's a Tessar, but...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Stone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I recently bought a Busch Pressman C that has been modified with a Mamiya RB67 revolving back. It came with a Wollensak 101 f/4.5 coated Raptar that is in mint condition.

I know that some of the most important characteristics of a lens won't show up on a resolution chart, but I am curious as to how this lens fits in with the 101 Ektars and the other lenses in this size. I am considering a 100mm f6.3 Symmar-S, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make.

There doesn't seem top be any specific comments about Raptar 101 lens on any of the other websites. I originally asked this on the Non Graflex board. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have this lens with a Rapax Shutter on my Baby Speed Graphic. A lens technician I'm not...but I have taken a few shots with it and am very pleased with the detail. I also have an Ektar..and in my non-professional opinion, the Raptar certainly measures up.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are both tessars in design, both coated. Some people swear Ektars had better glass and production quality control. I say 60 years later how well it was taken care of has a much greater bearing on image quality than its pedigree.

I'm also convinced, though I have no proof, that the Raptar and the Optar are the same, made under the same circumstances. An Optar goes on a Graphic camera, the Raptar on anything else.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-08-13 18:30 ]
Arthur Stone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies and information. It really helps to have input from more experienced photographers. I have been thinking about setting up a web page specifically for users of Busch Pressman cameras. If I do manage to set it up, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks, again.

Cordially,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: