Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Rangefinder on a Century Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Guys. I am in the process of buying a Kalart Rangefinder to retrofit to my 2X3 Century Graphic. The rangefinder was attached to a 4X5 Crown Graphic. Does anyone have a pattern or other advice for fabricating the linkage (adjusting arm)and attaching it to the focusing rail on my smaller camera? Any help would be most appreciated. My camera has the original 103mm Graflex Trioptar lens and has never had a rangefinder attached. I shoot roll film with this camera, which makes ground glass focusing a bit of a hassle, thus the rangefinder project. Thanks.
Fred
jdman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and looked at my Century and Crown which appear to have the same hardware for the rangefinder. Nothing is impossible for some people to make, but I think I would try and get the parts From Fred Lustig. The little piece that attaches to the rail looks to be pretty hard to make. Russ
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Russ. My rangefinder is being shipped and I have been promised the hardware that attaches to the rail as part of the deal. Since I have only 2X3 cameras, I don't know if the hardware that attaches to the 4X5 will fit the 2X3. I'll wait 'til I see what it looks like before I proceed. Isn't the link from the rangefinder shaft to the part on the rail larger for a 4X5 than for a 2X3? Fred.
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep its bigger, and the older Speeds both 2x3 and 4x5 have a different kind of hardware, just to make things interesting. Just looked at my 4x5 pacemaker, and 2x3 century, and the 4x5 Rail hardware will not work. It is similar, but larger. Russ
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Russ. WELL, guess I'll have to "kluge" up something, to borrow a term from another post on this site. ( I think it was in reference to rigging up a way to attach a roll film adapter to a Speed Graphic with a spring back.) You mentioned Fred Lustig. I've heard of him several times before, but don't know how to contact him. Fred.
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main Graflex.org site lists his address as Fred Lustig
4790 Caughlin Pkwy #433
Reno NV 89509. Also try 775-746-0111 Daytime only. I cannot be sure these have not changed, but you can give them a try. Russ
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ, I appreciate it. I knew I'd seen it somewhere...just didn't look far enough. When I find out what I need, I'll proceed accordingly. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the rangefinder...still trying to "do it myself". Will contact Fred Lustig if I can't do it. Since the Century Graphic body is mahoganite (plastic) instead of wood...is the Kalart on a Century attached with wood screws or are the holes drilled all the way through and the RF attached with machine screws and nuts?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest pilot drilling (50% of screw diamater) the holes and using sheet metal screws (they come in pan, flat, hex head, #2 thru #14) as they hold better in plastic than wood screws. Be careful not to over tighten.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-07-21 20:26 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Charles. Sheet metal screws and 50% pilot holes it is! Will use the calibrated torque wrench in my wrist and not over-tighten. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-07-22 15:45 ]
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, am happy to report the RF from a 4X5 is now mounted on my Century 2X3. Holes for mounting were already pre-drilled in the mahoganite, covered with the leatherette. Just had to punch'em out. I cut down the eccentric to fit between the camera body and the rail. The Century rail had pre-drilled and tapped holes, #1-72's, to accomodate the eccentric. The actuating arm I cut down to approx. 4-1/4"..and the calibration is now a hair's breadth from right on. Will fine-tune tomorrow, using the instructions on the site. Thank you all!! Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: