Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Speed Graphics, Help Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmp1223

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Vintage Graflex Camera to feed my interest in Vintage Photography. It is a 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 Pre Anniversary Speed Graphic. It came with a side-mount rangefinder, and spring back. Also came with several film holders and film. Were do I begin? I need to know how to use it. clean it, and take care of it. Can't wait to get started!

Thanks
-Chris

[ This Message was edited by: cmp1223 on 2002-07-30 21:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cmp1223 on 2002-07-31 05:54 ]
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first place is to find some film for it. Kodak hasn't made 3x4 sheet film for a very long time. A company called Freestyle in California can custom cut film for you but you'll need a sheet to get the exact dimentions, or trim sheets of paper for a perfect fit. Film For Classics sells 3x4 film, but it's more expensive than 4x5 film from kodak.
***** I didn't see that you said you had film. How old is it? If it expired in the last few years then it would be okay to learn with. I suggest tray processing in D76 to begin with. That's the cheapest way to get a usable neg without a lot of dedicated space.

Look around your area for somebody that can process B&W sheet film. A lot of the places use a process that hold the film on a rack, and they won't have a rack for 3x4 film. If they use a roller transport system you might be okay. If not you'll have to process it yourself.

You can see why I've haven't mentioned Color neg or transparency film.

3x4 format was a neat size, but at this point it takes a dedicated person to shoot it. What you end up with is a format that either costs more than 4x5 to shoot and you get a smaller negative, or you convert to roll film, in which case you are carrying a bigger camera around than you need to as a Mini Speed will do the same thing with less weight and bulk.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-07-31 08:00 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: