Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bought the wrong roll film back what size camera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ltdave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: bought the wrong roll film back what size camera? Reply with quote

i have a 4x5 Crown Graphic. beautiful camera. wasnt too keen on doing sheet film so i bought (my error) a couple of RH10 film backs.

they measure 3x4 inches.

are these for the Graflex in 3x4? ive seen 3-1/4x4-1/4 and while id rather not buy another camera just to justify the $140 i spent on the backs, if i DO jump on another, i sure as heck want to be positive ive got the right one!

ive seen a couple on ebay that would fit the bill and inexpensive enough that i could probably convince myself it was the right thing to do lol

UNLESS someone wants a pair of RH10 film backs? id let them go for considerably LESS than i paid for them. ones Graflex branded the other is a Singer and they both are complete
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure again.

I just took out an RH-8 (same shell, with longer gate, as the RH-10) for 2x3 cameras. The mounting plate's dimensions are approximately 3 1/8 x 5.

I believe, could be mistaken, that the RH (so badged) series of Graflex brand roll holders were offered with mounting plates to fit 2x3 and 4x5 Graflok backs.

There are other clip-on type roll holders that fit 4x5 Graflok backs. I assume that's what your camera has. Horseman, Wista, Sinar, Linhof Super Rollex, ... And there are insertion types too.

Stick with the camera you have, get a roll holder or several to fit it. Sell the ones you have, which seem to be for 2x3 cameras. If you must get another Graphic, get a 2x3er with Graflok back. All Century Graphics have an integral Graflof. 2x3 Crowns and Speeds were sold with, at various times, Graflok and Graphic backs. Be more careful when shopping.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dan said. If you're just going to shoot roll film, the 4x5 is no advantage over the 2x3. Pick up a Century with the stock 103mm self-cocking shutter and go to it!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take Henry's advice and buy a Century Graphic be very very careful. I just took a look on eBay, found, if I counted correctly, 28 Centuries on offer. 12 of them didn't have their focusing panel.

IMO, a Graphic without a focusing panel us unusable. There's no guarantee that the rangefinder is calibrated correctly for the lens mounted or that the focusing scale is correct for the lens mounted. If a different lens is mounted, even the same make, model and engraved focal length all bets are off. Calibrating the RF is impossible without the focusing panel.

OP, if you don't know what a focusing panel is or how to recognize one, read the manual or ask.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a mystery to me how these focusing panels vanish from the cameras (wink, wink). Then they turn up on eBay in separate listings. Now the cynic in me would say....well, never mind. Draw your own conclusions!

I totally agree with Dan about the essential need for the focusing panel! A lot of my work involves a tripod set-up, with ground glass focussing via loupe under dark cloth---the whole view camera bit. Of course, the nice thing about the self-cocking shutter is that you can also use the Century hand-held, framing the shot with the sports finder and focussing with the Kalart, provided that it's accurately adjusted to the 103 (or whatever) lens.
Ltdave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i just got another Crown Graphic in 2x3 with a graflox back.

i dont have time today or tomorrow to play with it but sunday, im surely going to be all over it!!!

ive got the roll film backs so shooting with it wont be any trouble (i heard 2x3 film is hard to come by in the proper cut size) so i should be good to go!

my 4x5 Crown is still out for repair to have the rangefinder fixed. the balls and springs in 'the tube' were missing and its going to be repaired and anything else in the finder, fixed or replaced as needed.
hporter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestyle Photo in California has the 2x3 cut film in stock in their house brand (Foma?) and some Ilford HP5. It is nearly a dollar a sheet now though...

I normally cut down 8x10 x-ray film to shoot in my Graflex 2x3 and 3x4 cameras. I haven't bought any in years, but it used to be very cheap.

It is a lot easier to process roll film though. The little sheets of cut film are a bit more trouble, but doable with the right equipment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: