Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carrying & storing exposed film on trip?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I may have a slight problem. I'm planning a little trip and will be taking the 4x5. I fully hope to shoot more film than the number of holders I'll be taking. And there's my problem. What to do with exposed sheets outside of the holders?
My first thought was to simply put the exposed sheets back into the film box under the envelope with the rest of the unexposed film. And that would also help keep the different kinds of film organised. But I do worry about scratching the film with the outside of the envelope inside the box.
No, I don't have any empty film boxes... I've been shooting mostly Polaroids...

So I've been trying to come up with some other type of small storage container for exposed sheets and can't think of anything that would be light tight? Something like a flat 5x6 tupperware container, but light tight would be ideal. I've checked B&H and others and can't find anything sold for this purpose, which is kinda surprising in itself?

Which brings me here and open to any suggestions

Thanks...
Rich...
cmaurice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually is a holder sold for exposed sheet film, funny though, I can't remember where i got that info.
I went on a trip recently, and took the 4x5, and went into a camera store with the same query. They gave me some light tight envelopes, just throwaway stuff from some Agfacolor prestige paper that they use in processing. Basically it's a big lunch size brown paper bag lined with black vinyl. It did the job very well. Hopefully you have a custom shop around that might have this.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just remove the envelope. I know the unexposed sheets wouldn't scratch the exposed ones. Keeping track may prove problematic though.

There is a piece of cardboard inside every envelope (with fuji it's a wrap around, with kodak it's two pieces)

I always take the top card board out of the envelope a flip it accross the room to hear if I can hit the cat in the dark (hasn't happened yet)

So I suggest that rather than you taking a darkroom target with you on the trip, keep the cardboard and lay it on top of the exposed sheets on the bottom of the box then the evelope on top of that.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I could solicit some replies here

Hmmm, darkroom targets? Not only sounds like fun, but a marketable game!

Okay... I searched everywhere on the net I could think of and found nothing, mostly. I did manage to find 'film bags'. They didn't specify a size! But they did say for paper or film. I doubted paper would be smaller than 4x5 and they were very cheap, so I ordered some. No matter what, I'll find a use for them, even if it's for paper? Probably the same plastic bags paper comes wrapped in inside the box... (or used to?)...

Yep Les, that was about my idea, but I did worry about keeping the expose seperated from the unexposed if I removed the envelope. I suppose as long as I can keep top & bottom straight, a simple cardboard seperator will work find. And that way the film can go right back into it's original box so I know what it is when I get it home.
Gees, I didn't even notice at first that you suggested leaving the envelope, but using the carboard seperator to prevent scratches... I need some more coffee... Yep, that solves all the problems. And rather simply too! Thanks!

No, how much does anyone want to bet that I develop the unexposed sheets first!

Thanks...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2002-07-13 20:29 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if there's a mistake I've done it. I was an assistant on a two week long car shooting trip to California from Detroit.

When we got back I sent the seperate box of exposed film to the lab..... they all came back blank! ALLL 250 Sheets!!! A 10 day shoot with all different kinds of lenses (and shutters) and cameras. How could that be?

Yep I sent the wrong box (and later, my paycheck) to the lab. The chromes did look great once they were processed.

I was kidding about removing the envelop. Yeah you could rotate the exposed film so the notches are one way, but it's still too risky to pick up exposed as unexposed. I prefer the cardboard between the envelope and the film. Done it many times.

And I agree i remember somebody touting a plastic (?) film box. I thought it was Calumet, then Light Impressions. But they either discontinued it or it was a rumor started here!
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Great story, bad mistake... I've done some real bloopers in my time, but not in photography (only because I'm not a photographer ) I could tell stories for weeks about automotive & electronics though... But that's what makes life interesting, later... as long as we survive it

I do the film loading in a large changing bag. So far I always have trouble getting the film into the right position to work right. As such, it gets moved around, along with box & contents. Makes it hard to keep it all straight until the postional feel is found and it all falls into place (lack of experience I suppose). Then I can load a half dozen holders in a blink. Just the first one that gives me problems... That's why I have a worry about keeping things separated. But the cardboard should do it as long as I remember it when I open the box...

I would believe Calumet offered such a box. Seems like something they would do. I would also believe they no longer have it. As it is also something they do. When I wanted a container for on-road Polaroid 55 negative clearing, Calumet had one. I thought it was a bit high in cost so I didn't buy it. Later I thought it would be a convenience. Can't even find a reference to it on their site any more... So I've got nice tupper-ware-like containers and sandwich bags that work just fine...

My favorite 'story' in recent times has been "The Russian pencil", simplest is best, and it's usually true (and cheaper)...

Thanks!
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update on the film bags...

Got them today. They're "Paper Safe-T Bags, 11x14 black opaque polybags" from "Delta 1", very heavy and supposed to hold up to 100 sheets of double weight paper. Even though the name says "Paper", they do say "storage of photographic film" in the description. Plenty large enough for 4x5 film, too large really. But they can be folded of course.
They were only 3.95 for 5 and seem well worth it for something that's light tight and easily transportable for regular use or emergencies. Although I don't think I'd trust then in direct sunlight, but there's little I would... A simple cardboard box should give them enough protection while in use.
I'd still like to find a 'real' light-tight container for film, but these will do for lack of anything else. And not a bad place to keep the film boxes either!

Had to add this... They come shipped in a "Free 8x10 Safe-T Bag". That's very nice (as long as it didn't get damaged in shipping?). But under that is a promo quote that reads:
"Dark Will Not Leak Through"
I didn't know I had to worry about 'Dark'? Or does that mean the 'dark' inside will not leak out? I'd really hate to lose my 'dark'

Rich...

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2002-07-15 11:18 ]
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark is very acidic under the right circumstances, and can addle the brain. which is quite understanable as what we know as dark is just diluted dark matter from a black hole.

and that's stuff's really nasty!

The effect of dark can be explemplified by the manager of the local portrait lab needed to print up new envelopes.

He meant for the bag to read "Un Processed Film only", but alas the dark had gotten to him and 5000 letter sized envelopes arrrived on his doorstep, and in big bold red letters at the top they read

"UNEXPOSED FILM ONLY"

22 years before that an intern at the same labe whose hair color is lost to history attemped to buy 144 doz soft pencils with the lab's name on them, but spelled dozen g r o s s. That was 1970, they are down to their last couple of hundred.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, now I am realizing _my_ problems. I have always prefered the dark and apparently is has had it's affects on me... Or maybe as I'm getting older, my dark is leaking out? I wonder if these poly bags come in my size?

So how many pencils do you have left Les?
On a slightly more serious side... Besides collecting up all these manuals for the cameras to make available to everyone, pehaps someone should collect up all these stories? We could all use a little humor now and then. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: