Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manuals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klotz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manuals are there, but not accessible from the home page, as you noticed. The main reason for this is that the manuals are quite large (many megabytes) and I haven't gotten them compressed yet. Lee Moore, who kindly proivded a large number of manuals to me in PDF form, scanned them at high resolution and I haven't down-converted them for smaller size yet. Th recently added manuals are all JPEG files, and they're quite large as well; I'll probably convert them to PDF, but it will take a little while. I believe I can reduce their size drastically so that even modem users can down load them, but it will take me a little while.

If I link them in to the main page now, people will start downloading these large versions, search engines will find them, etc., and I'll wind up using a lot of bandwidth.

Leigh.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-04 11:41, klotz wrote:
The manuals are there, but not accessible from the home page, as you noticed. The main reason for this is that the manuals are quite large (many megabytes) and I haven't gotten them compressed yet. Lee Moore, who kindly proivded a large number of manuals to me in PDF form, scanned them at high resolution and I haven't down-converted them for smaller size yet. Th recently added manuals are all JPEG files, and they're quite large as well; I'll probably convert them to PDF, but it will take a little while. I believe I can reduce their size drastically so that even modem users can down load them, but it will take me a little while.

If I link them in to the main page now, people will start downloading these large versions, search engines will find them, etc., and I'll wind up using a lot of bandwidth.

Leigh.

Just to let you know in case you'd be interested. I downloaded all the files from hpmartin. 30 to 50 megs or so in total. I tried going right into pdf format. But that actually made the total size larger. Then I converted all the files to 2 color gifs, and then into pdf format. The toal size now is 8.5 megs. The only problem is slightly less resolution because of the 2 color. So the pictures are definitely not as nice as beofre. And I didn't size the pages. So most pages are in the order of 32x30 inches or so. Acrobat allows printing documents to the printer's page size, so this works just fine as does viewing them. I haven't tried creating new ones with the proper page sizes yet, but will at some point. But 8.5 megs is a heck of a lot better to download than 30+ megs...

If anyone is interested in these reformatted pdf files, I'd be more than happy to make them available...

Rich...
klotz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm working on converting them to PDF 1.4 with multi-plane rendering to preserve the quality of the text and the quality of the pictures in separate planes.

Leigh.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:40 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-04 13:53, klotz wrote:
Thank you. I'm working on converting them to PDF 1.4 with multi-plane rendering to preserve the quality of the text and the quality of the pictures in separate planes.

Leigh.

Wow, that's a whole lot more work than I was ever planning! I look forward to the new versions. Until then, I made the B&W versions available on my web site, till I run out of room anyway

Thanks!
klotz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post a link to the smaller files you have on your site.

Thanks,
Leigh.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 23:08, klotz wrote:
Please post a link to the smaller files you have on your site.

Thanks,
Leigh.

Sure

http://www.southbristolviews.com

Last menu option on the left side for "Gralfex Manuals". It's a framed web site so the manual page itself isn't supposed to be loaded alone.
But if anyone wanted a direct link, it's:

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/graphicmanuals.html

I don't think it would hurt to link directly to this page. There is a link on this page that will go back to the main page of the site if anyone wants to...

And I just now added the complete service manual to the Graphic View I & II (one manual) if anyone needs it. Haven't seen this around anywhere...

[ This Message was edited by: richs on 2002-07-10 11:52 ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere a Super (Speed) manual ?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: