Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anniversary Speeed Graphic with Mendelsohn Speedgun Flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcarroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Anniversary Speeed Graphic with Mendelsohn Speedgun Flash Reply with quote

I am trying to find more information about the Mendelsohn Speedgun. It seems to have been a common flash unit and synchronizer for the Speed Graphic before Graflex released their own flash handle. I recently found a 1940 Anniversary Speed Graphic that came with a metal bracket mounted to the lens board, and also a flash bracket mounted that surrounds the Kalart rangefinder. The bracket mounted near the lens would be to mount a shutter solenoid of some sort.

I started trying to research the brackets, and found very little about them online. I did find a picture in an original copy of the Graflex Anniversary users manual that shows a camera with these brackets mounted.

I also found a picture online of this fellow with a complete setup:

And another one that shows the bracket only:

After scouring the Internet, I think I have identified the flash handle as a Mendelsohn Model D. I was able to find one of these online.

But, I have been able to find very little, or nothing about the solenoid / tripping unit that mounts on the lens board bracket. Does anybody have a good picture of this? I am trying to look for one to complete my setup, and it would help if I know what I'm searching for.

And it does seem odd that so many cameras show up online with these brackets, but the solenoid seems to be quite rare.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Wes
78ltd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to "Synchroflash Photography" from 1939, that's actually the Model C Deluxe Speedgun. The bracket on the lens board is an exact match for the picture on page 143 of that book. It was made so the solenoid could be removed to close the bed. Nice looking Anniversary by the way. I also have that bracket in a box of Graflex parts I purchased several years ago. My 1941 Anny. has the same encircling bracket but had a HR solenoid on it.
That's about all I know.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mendelshon Speedguns are listed on page 5 of this price list:
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_9.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: