Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crown graphic lens board bushing nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chalky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: crown graphic lens board bushing nuts Reply with quote

hi all,
Apologies if this kind of post is not allowed, feel free to delete if so.

I recently bought a crown graphic in pretty good condition, but missing the bottom 2 bushing nuts that hold the lensboard retainer and bellows to the front lens standard.

Does any one know of a source of these or have any they would like to sell?

Many thanks,
Matt
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The service manual only states Screw, machine special and Nut, machine special for these parts. The same screw, nut, and washers are used on both the top and bottom lens board locks.
There is a washer between the lens board lock and the front standard. It is listed as Washer-flat, .218 inch OD, .089 inch ID, .016 inch thick stainless steel.
The washers under the screw head are flat, .203 in OD, .124 in ID, .010 thick stainless steel and washer-spring. The spring washer is next to the screw head and keeps tension on the screw to prevent it from loosening.

The screw has a shoulder on it to fit the slot in the lens board lock otherwise it is a standard machine thread screw. The screw should be a #2-56 or a #2-64 based in the ID of the washer between the lens board lock and the front standard. The screw shoulder will be .120 in to .123 in OD and thick enough to just reach the front standard side of the lens board lock when the lock screw is installed.

Suitable replacement hardware can be easily fabricated from stock available from a model railroad or hobby shop. A hardware store may have screws, washers, nuts, and tubing that can be cut to length for the screw shoulder. The spring washer may be the only hard to find item and thread locker can be used in its place.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, just be advised that 2-64 is not a common thread used in model railroading. If you need 2-56, however, count yourself lucky, for that is very common and, as 45PSS says, you'll likely find what you need in a well-stocked model railroad hobby shop, in a variety of lengths, head types, and materials (brass, nylon, etc.).
chalky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks both

I'm a little out my depth here with all these technical sizes etc, but I will work it all out via google and I think there is a railroad shop near me that may be able to help.

Appreciate the advice

Cheers,
Matt
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All measurements are SAE. Being in the UK you may have trouble finding them. There will be no metric or British size equivalent but there should be sizes close enough to work well.
chalky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - yes I'll do some searching and try and learn a bit more about all the sizes etc.

The camera is using tape at the moment in place of the bottom lens board retainer, so want to change that.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: