Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Graphic View-View Camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggaboo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently got my hands on a beautiful Graphic View camera. The problem is that I know less then jack about view cameras. So I need some help or a point in the right direction as to where to look. The camera is in beautiful contion. The lens board has not been drilled,so I need a lens. What kind should I get? What type of tripod? How does the film load into the camera? I feel so helpless. Help!

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you go and corner the market on all the large format lenses on ebay I suggest you get a copy of Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan & Morgan. They went through 11 editions, I suggest either a 9th or 10th ed.

A great value in a first lens, I suggest a 203mm ektar or 205mm Optar. Both of these are relatively in expensive and damn good lenses. These will be slightly longer than normal, about like a 65mm lens on a 25mm camera.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you go and corner the market on all the large format lenses on ebay I suggest you get a copy of Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan & Morgan. They went through 11 editions, I suggest either a 9th or 10th ed.

A great value in a first lens, I suggest a 203mm ektar or 205mm Optar. Both of these are relatively in expensive and damn good lenses. These will be slightly longer than normal, about like a 65mm lens on a 25mm camera.
Moontree Photo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I concur with Les on the 203mm Ektar. This is my favorite lens. I have a 90mm and a 150mm, and the Ektar is the one I reach for time and again. You will probably want to ask yourself before buying lenses what kind of photography do you want to do.

View lenses are quite different than SLR lenses, and some education will help tremendously. Keep in mind that your camera allows for movements for perspective and depth of field control. You may not get into these in the beginning but will eventually want to use this feature. In order for the lens to adequately cover the film during rise, fall, swing, and tilt it has to produce a large enough image area. I got burned on my 90mm that just barely covers the 4x5 image plane, and as soon as I try to rase the front standard it vignettes the corners.

There are several decent books and websites that offer reference material. This forum is excellent as well as http://www.photo.net in the large format category. Also, check in your local area for a photo group that has some view camera folks. Nothing beats seeing this stuff in action. Finally, try your local photo store to see if they have lenses to rent.

Good luck and welcome to Large Format photography.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: