Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Ground Glass Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KMH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Another Ground Glass Thread Reply with quote

Hello all. New member and owner of a very nice Graphic View. Tested it out the other day and it seems to be working great.

Only thing wrong is the ground glass is cracked, rather badly in the upper right corner. I did some research about how to make your own with silicon carbide so I decided to give that a try. Wasn't sure if the glass I had would fit, but gave it shot anyway.

First thing I noticed before I did any cutting was that the original GG was 3 7/8 x 4 7/8" exactly. Not 4X5 which may cause trouble when trying to swap out a new one from a different manufacturer. 2nd issue was that the original is approx. 1.5mm thick. The only stock I had was the typical 3/32" stuff you can get for picture frames. I ground down what I had and when I put it in the camera, the back would not close by about 1", and trying my luck broke what I had made. No biggie, but I now I seem to face an even bigger problem.

Where can a guy get 1.5mm glass these days? A search online only came up with bulk pallet orders by the square meter. Is this glass so uncommon that it would be even harder to find than an original GG itself?

I guess worse comes to worst I can get a stock piece of ground glass and try to cut it down. I'm not sure how that would handle cutting though and don't want to waste anything if it's a bit expensive.

Any tips would be appreciated.
choiliefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if "water glass" would be overkill. It is used for picture framing and available in various thickness.

Perhaps this company can supply what you need. The company is S.I.Howard Glass:
http://flatglassproducts.howardglass.com/viewitems/schott-borofloat-glass/schott-borofloat-glass-2?&forward=1

All the best,
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thickness of glass that has good optical qualities can be used if the following conditions are met, in order of importance:
1. the ground side must be at the film plane facing the lens.
2. the retainer clips will hold it firmly in place.
3. the focusing hood will fit and operate properly.

To test correct positioning:
1. remove the back from the camera.
2. insert a film holder loaded with a scrap piece of film the type you regularly use.
3. remove the darkslide.
4. lay a straight edge across the back making sure that both sides are on the same height of frame edge.
5. measure from the straight edge to the film surface at several points. I take 6 readings at the centers of a 3 x 3 grid.
6. All measurements should be within .007 inch of one another.

The film surface of a good film holder should be .197±.007 inch below the edge of the film holder.

Kodak TriX 320 is .007 inch thick.
KMH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys.

The link to S.I Howard was something I also stumbled across later in a search. I will try and e-mail them to see what shipping would be. If it's too expensive it may not be worth all the trouble.

As for the thickness of the glass, apparently it is very important. The ground glass has to fit under the piano hinge at the top so thickness seems to be very crucial here. My 3/32" piece just barely fit underneath but had too much pressure on it when the back closed.

I also found a site it seems others have found for ground glass - Surplus Shed. They have sheets of 8X10 1.5mm thick Kodak ground glass ******* for $18.00 shipped so that could be an option. I will have to try and make another ground glass and then try to cut it to see how that goes. If successful, I guess cutting an 8X10 down to two sizes to fit the Graphic View could work.

Thanks again for the help.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread with some interest. Here's the item referred to above: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l14480.html

This place, Surplus Shed, is practically in my back yard! Fleetwood, PA (where they used to make bodies for, you guessed it, the Cadillac Fleetwood), is about 25 miles down the road between Allentown and Reading. Mmm, wonder if they have a retail store???
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who live close by: I have just learned that the Surplus Shed warehouse in Fleetwood is open to the public on Saturdays from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
KMH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
For those who live close by: I have just learned that the Surplus Shed warehouse in Fleetwood is open to the public on Saturdays from 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM.

I just learned this as well. I put their address in my phone and if I'm near I'll try and stop by. I live in NJ but often find myself in PA taking pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: