Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Press Graflex Folmer & Schwing Co. Rochester. NY?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loujon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Early Press Graflex Folmer & Schwing Co. Rochester. NY? Reply with quote

Hello guys!

My name is Louis & this is my 1st post so I would like to first say I'm VERY grateful for all the excellent information the members of Graflex.org have/do provide. Thanks You!

I have owned a Press Graflex for several years & it has what I believe to have a pretty early 5 digit serial # for a Press Graflex but I had failed to put this together. The plate on the shutter reset & curtain knob is marked as

Press Graflex
Patented
Folmer & Schwing Co.
Feby 5,1907
Rochester, N.Y.

The serial #12111

OK now to my question. So with all this information am I correct in concluding my Press Graflex may be one of the 1st manufactured during the companies configuration with the shortest life span? With only 2 years as the Folmer & Schwing Co. Rochester N.Y. .1905-1907.

Last edited by loujon on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your serial number 12111 was made in 1922. Serial number 119544 RB Series B, listed as Tele ,was made in the Spring of 1922. Serial number 122098, 3x4 RB Auto, was made between 1922 and 1923. The serial numbers were logged out in large blocks at a time, so the exact dates are not known.
loujon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea,,, NO sir . You missed one point that is important. My Press Graflex is a 5 digit serial #. Your dating my early 5 digit Press with 6 digit serial #'s and to boot with different models.

BTW- Thanks for answer anyhow! Just nice to have a little recent interaction here on Graflex.org. Such a great site that I'm surprised there isn't more traffic.

Sirius Glass wrote:
Your serial number 12111 was made in 1922. Serial number 119544 RB Series B, listed as Tele ,was made in the Spring of 1922. Serial number 122098, 3x4 RB Auto, was made between 1922 and 1923. The serial numbers were logged out in large blocks at a time, so the exact dates are not known.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex serial numbered their cameras from the beginning but did not keep record of the serial numbers until after they were purchased by Eastman Kodak in 1905. That record is missing several pages of the first pages so it is of no help.
F&S was merged with Century in 1907 to form the F&S Division of EKC.

A few cameras were estimated to be made around 1906-1908 with a 12XXX serial number.

Without the original dated sales receipt there is no way to tell the DOM.
F&S used all old parts and labels before using the new ones. If they had 100 F&S labels at the time of the merger they would have used them before using the F&S Division labels.
Your camera could have been made between 1907 and 1909.

Cameras were made in batches based on demand. One batch could be a Speed and the next a Press. Serial numbers were used in sequence without regard to model until 1949.

Last edited by 45PSS on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
loujon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Graflex serial numbered their cameras from the beginning but did not keep record of the serial numbers until after they were purchased by Eastman Kodak in 1905. That record is missing several pages of the first pages so it is of no help.
F&S was merged with Century in 1907 to form the F&S Division of EKC.

A few cameras were estimated to be made around 1906-1908 with a 12XXX serial number.

Without the original dated sales receipt there is no way to tell the DOM.
F&S used all old parts and labels before using the new ones. If they had 100 F&S labels at the time of the merger they would have used them before using the F&S Division labels.
Your camera could have been made between 1905 and 1908.

Hi 45PSS.

That's what I had gathered from reading through countless previous postings here . I was looking to double check my conclusions with the knowledgeable. Thanks 45PSS.

btw- My Press Graflex serial # is 12114 not 12111. Just to keep things honest.
willysmb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Auto Graflex Junior (1906) under the serial number # 9986
My early Press is under number #15443

45pSS is right with 1906/1907

Laurent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: