Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutter release help Pacemaker Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Shutter release help Pacemaker Speed Graphic Reply with quote

I acquired a Pacemaker Speed this month for parts (the graflok back) but then realised I had everything missing from the camera and it would be better to restore it.

The Curtain's OK but the shutter release on the body isn't connecting it's loose. I'm assuming it should move the arm inside the body shown in diagram -Figure 7 page 9 in the 1955 service manual.

Any quick fixes or ideas how to fix this ? Should add there's some corrosion on the back so I don't know how well the camera was stored.

Ian
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body release should operate either the lens shutter via a cable, body connection on page 2, figure 2, or the FPS depending on the position of the Front/Rear/Trip slide switch on the FPS plate.
It the body release will not operate the FPS then the most common cause is the slide switch on FPS plate was incorrectly installed, page 8, figure 6 items 8 through 13 with 8 being the most commonly mispositioned part.
IanG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's quite possibly the cause, the Front / Rear slide wouldn't move.

However I think there's a more fundamental issue as well, with the shutter removed the release still isn't pushing against anything (nor is the cable release moving anything) inside the shutter housing area.

It's the part that should connect with the Front/Rear slide in figure 6 (page that isn't moving freely.

Ian
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the body side release move in and out when pressed?
Check the lens shutter release cable attachment to the body as shown on page 17 figure 11. An incorrectly installed cable can prevent the side release mechanism from functioning properly.
If the side release does not move apply a few drops of penetrating oil to each side of the release lever and allow to sit for an hour or two.
As a last resort remove the side release according to the instructions on page 19.

The side release operates the front shutter cable by default. The side selector switch when moved to the rear position transfers the side release movement to the FPS. If the front release cable is preventing the side release mechanism from returning to the home position the release will not operate any thing or the cable only. The cable not being securely attached to the body will result in the cable body end only moving.

The bellows have to be removed to access the cable body end.
Bellows removal section V-A-1 page 11; cable attachment section V-D-4 page 12.
IanG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was hesitating before removing the bellows. My guess is there's some slight corrosion locking the release. I'm familiar with the older Speed Graphic shutters but it's the first Pacemaker Speed I've stripped, although I have an emasculated Speed which had it's shutter removed completely.

Ian
IanG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After stripping the shutter out, removing the bellows etc the shutter release still wasn't working (was loose and the lever that triggers the FP shutter wouldn't move.

It turned out to be a screw in the casing was locking the mechanism. This happened because a previous owner had stripped the body down - removing the rangefinder etc and the screw was replaced going further into the body than normal.

Now to re-build

Ian
peter k

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

son of the gun, strange coincidence, same thing had happened with the 1950 Pacemaker that I recently assembled from parts.. and probably why it was never put back together by the original owner.
IanG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case Peter the small screw locking the release was not immediately apparent, it looked to be part of the leatherette

At least I'll now have a useful Speed Graphic to use with my 17" f5.6 Telephoto lens.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: