Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1950 Pacemaker Assembly from parts.. need help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: 1950 Pacemaker Assembly from parts.. need help. Reply with quote

Back in July 16, 2013 received box of Speed Graphic parts.
original post ~ http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6483

Update.. after trying to get a Pacemaker for parts from several sources, but not willing to go as high as they where sold for, have decided to go for the puzzle of putting this one back together with the parts I received with the camera.
Will have some questions as I proceed, so here's the first one.

Starting with the Rangefinder
From the graflex manual /45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic
p22 & 23 ~ part 6a ~ Eyepiece, - rubber extension
Missing in Action (not in box) ... but I notice that unlike my 3x4 there is no bracket to to keep it attached. On the web, one of the e-bay ones, didn't even have one. Also, the focal plane shutter 'knob' would come very close to it.. and would seem to be easily knocked off, when cocking the focal plane shutter.
Soooo... did they all have them, or where they commonly lost?
Also, is there any place to get parts like this?
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called an Eyepiece Extension. Its an accessory. The Pacemaker versions screwed into the eye of the Kalart or Hugo Meyer. There are two types, a fixed tube that's good for pocking you eye with and a spring loaded one that will collapse to near half length when pressed.
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. thanks.. so this one may never have had one.
peter k

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Case, the metal hinge assembly is attached by wood screws, (can see the treads in the red colored wood) on the far right and left, in the manual... I could find no reference to this on page 18.

Or am I looking in the wrong place?
They are most likely flat head, but I need to know the length and size, so as to match to what I have.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're using the same service manual its figure 2 Basic Camera, item 31, page 25 in the IPB section. #2-1/4 inch long Flat Head, Brass wood screw.

The "red wood" is Honduran Mahogany.
peter k

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the graflex manual, from this site, the 45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic manual, the same one your referring to. Diagram is on page 24, ... item 31 is screw for Bed Brace, got those, and the both bed braces have been reinstalled.

What I'm referring to, is where the Speed Graphic Bed, (Figure 9, page 14), is hinged, and attached to the bottom of the case.
Oh for heaven sakes... the two screws are shown on Figure 9, but not labeled.
Looking at part 15c, (Brace Assembly) its the second, smaller screw over to the right. Its twin is on the other side.

Any ideas on its size?
My guess, flat head #2 1/4", or a little longer. Hate to try something and enlarge the hole, or mess up the tread in the Mahogany.
Couldn't for the life of me remember the name, as it keep circling around in the mind.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a second look at figure 2. index 31 points to the top screw of the bed brace bracket plate and the bed to case. The figure is on page 24, the description is on page 25.
Look at the bed in the diagram, not the brace enlarged insert.
peter k

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, Diagram reading 101
~~~~~~
Ok, just about got it altogether...
The hinge on the handle side must have gotten tweaked at some point! The top edge, of the right Bed guide, about 3/16", near the hinge, had broken off. With everything tightened up, the Bracket Assembly was catching in that area, so made a shim (Kodak TriX 35mm box cardboard, doubled) and put under the front part of the hinge shim yoke guide, (Fig 2 #33 page 24) that is attached to the case. So its smooth again. Had to fabricate a screw (#32 page 24) out of a 4/40, head filed and cut to length, as one was missing. (Actually, that and 5, #2 1/2 wood screws is all that was missing from the parts)
E-bay has been a help in looking at some of the images on Pacemakers that are for sell. Had no idea how the cable released ran to front of camera.

Questions:
1) The shim shouldn't effect anything should it, as the lens will sit in front, on the Bed?

2) Fig 9 #14 page 14, focusing pinon spring. I see the arc goes towards the edge, but how is it placed? Against what, to use its spring action?

3)The Focuspot, I know twists on, but what keeps it from twisting off?
It's a side mounted range finder, and there are two flat head screws going into the the top of the rangefinder, towards the case, right next to it. Was this the attachment place for a bracket that is missing?

Have to make a Lensboard.. they want $45 bucks fer dem on the Bay.
When the lens gets on, will have to check and adjust the rangefinder, and best of all, get some 4x5 film holders.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1a. Lay a straight edge on top of the rails with the rails fully retracted into the body, front standard/bellows off the rails and lifted up to clear, and bed at 90°. The straight edge should be in contact with the top of the rails their full length. A 6 inch stainless steel ruler is perfect for this. Check each side.
1b. Place a layout square along the bed next to the bed brace and body. The bed should be square to the body on both sides.
1c. If a and b are correct and the rails move in and out smoothly all is good.

2. Page 15, section C Bed reassembly step 2a.
The spring lays, arc up in slots either side of the pinion, the bed blocks hold the pinion and springs in place.
peter k

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I read that, but it didn't compute!

So the arc is up, that makes a difference, so it pushing against the bar, perpendicular, and the only place it will fit is right next to the knob!

Got it.
Thanks again, .. when I get this back in place I'll check the rest of the story.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illistrated Parts Breakdown(s) are drawn up with the components numbered in the assembly order and are shown in the correct orientation in the assembled piece.

These photocopied manuals leave a bit to be desired.
peter k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ...
Quote:
These photocopied manuals leave a bit to be desired.
and a high five thanks that we even have them.
~~~~~
Today worked on problem of not being able to fire the shutter cable release. (No lens in place yet).
The focal plane fires correctly. So uncovered the Release plate, and opened it up, and what I discovered inside.. two of the five screws missing in action. One of them, was preventing the slide switch to be placed into the front position.
On further assembly, disassemble, found that the screw, or screws, at some time, must have slightly bent the 'arm' that hooks up to the cable release. Straightened that, so it no longer rubs on the case, and gets stuck.

Question:
1) I must have missed it, but I could find no diagram, for parts info under the Release plate. Just info for taking it off on page 19.
Does it exist?
2) Looking into the front of the camera, on the right side, the screw that attaches to the cable, and moves to fire it, what is it's position in reference to the case? Does it stick out a little, towards the bellows? Or flush?
The reason I ask, it moves freely now, but there is some resistance, as the Lever Assembly (#21 Fig2 page 24) seems to be rubbing the case.
The resistance may be the cable itself, hard to tell, but when I use a screwdriver to push and change its direction the other end connected to the front standard responds.
3) But, its not returning on its own. There seems to be no text on this that I could find, how is this suppose to happen?
4) Now never having seen or used a Pacemaker before.. on the Front Standard there is a vertical, round silver 'wotcha ma call it, (could find nothing on this either in the manual) that is attached to the shutter 'Arm', that physically fires the shutter.
What is its purpose? Is this suppose to return the the cable release?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. page 30, figure 7-34 plate assembly, body release. Replaced as an assembly, no further breakdown. Also page 18, figure 12-34.
2 & 3-diagrams on page 17 show the cable attachment. The cable will nor operate properly if it is not installed according to the diagram for the format body you have. Spring, cable release item 10 page 17 returns the cable. The further the rails are extended the smoother the cable operates. Lubricate the cable with cable ease if you can find it or soak it in penetrating oil until it slides freely in its housing.
4. Page 28, figure 5, index 4 through 4C. Which Doodad?
peter k

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes saw those, but not much help, sigh.
2) Yes used that to hook up the cable for the 4x5 on page 17.
Ah yes, #10, that is a spring.. but it is not returning it.
I tested with the cable release extended out. Will lube the cable.

Still the question remains, should part 16, on page 17, be flush with the case as it pivots, rubbing on the case, or should it be out a little, towards the bellows?
(As I had to bend the arm straight that is attached to this part 16, so it has been modified, and need to know if its original placement, in reference to the side of the case. Flush or out towards the bellows a little)
If it is suppose to be flush, is it lubricated?
4) Yes, Page 28, figure 5, index 4 through 4C, is in place.

The Doodad is .. the round silver vertical 'ding'.. to the left of the lens

Thanks for your continued help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Pacemaker-Crown-Graphic-4-X-5-Camera-by-Graphex-/321283496251?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4acdfd193b
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item 16 page 17 should have a 5°-10° tilt toward the camera rear and just clear the body throughout its movement. I have never had to remove/service a body release other than oiling through the existing openings without removing the body covering.

Quote:
The Doodad is .. the round silver vertical 'ding'.. to the left of the lens

Solenoid.
---------
Bend/bent- what happens to a piece when it is dropped, forced beyond its design limits and deforms from its designed shape.

Reform- what one does to a deformed piece to bring it back to its original/designed shape.

Now did you bend the piece or did you reform it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: