Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focusing help for a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Focusing help for a newbie Reply with quote

I bought a Speed Graphic that came with a 135mm Graflex 4.7 lens. When I extend the bellows all the way to the stops I am unable to focus the camera on the ground glass. If I retract the bellows about 1 inch from the stops I can then focus using the ground glass but the focusing scale at the end of the rails at the front of the camera is significantly off.

Thoughts... help?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html
SCguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the link is relevent to my question. Am I missing something?
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One newbie to another...
There are two ways to focus, one is from the ground glass, the other from the Kalart rangefinder.

Dan gave you the link on how to adjust the Kalart rangefinder, if its inaccurate.

The rangefinder can only be adjusted, as I understand it, for a specific lens. If you put a different lens on, it will no longer be accurate.
But then you can use the ground glass, for another lens that you may want to mount.

So, are you just discussing only using the ground glass?

Or are you adjusting focus with the rangefinder, and then find, that it is out of focus on the ground glass? Or visa versa?

If this is the case then the rangefinder will have to be adjusted for 135mm Graflex 4.7 lens, and how to do that, is the link Dan gave you.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It tells how to set the infinity (also called bed) stops. That's what you have to do.
SCguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about focusing using the ground glass.

My understanding is that to take a picture you start by opening the camera and pulling out the bellows to the stops. Then focus.

My camera will not focus at the stops. I need to lock the bellows on the rail about 1 inch from the stops. Is this normal.

As a newbie it would be great if I could talk to someone experienced. Any takers?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to set the stops so that when you pull the front standard out the lens will focus at infinity with the bed rails fully retracted. In fact, for Pacemaker Graphics the stops should be set so the lens focuses a hair through infinity.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
1. mount the camera on a tripod with the bed opened to 90°.
2. Pacemaker Speed: run the rails all the way into the body then forward .040 ± .010 inch.
Anniversary Speed and earlier models: run the rails fully into the body.
3. Set the focus lock, hopefully it works.
4. Open the leaf shutter (lens) on T or lock open on B with a shutter release cable.
5. Set the Focal Plane Shutter to O.
6. Open the aperture to its widest opening.
7. Loosen the screws on the existing infinity stops so that they will slide on the rails, no need to remove.
8 . Point the camera at an infinity target at least 5000 feet away. Celestial objects work well. Use an online map service set to your location and its scale to find a suitable target if you do not know of one.
9. Unlock the front standard and while watching the ground glass with a good loupe, slide the front standard out until the image is tack sharp on the ground glass then lock the front standard. Note: the front standard has a tendency to shift in the direction the lock lever is moved.
10. Slide the infinity stops up to the front standard.
11. Using a caliper or similar check the distance from the end of the rails to the infinity stop/front standard on each side.
12. Reposition the front standard as needed to make it square to the rails.
13. Recheck the ground glass image and reposition the front standard as needed to correct focus shift.
14. Repeat steps 11, 12, and 13 until the front standard is locked, square to the rails, and the ground glass is tack sharp with a loupe.
15. Push the infinity stops firmly against the front standard without moving it and tighten their set screws.
16. Check the Rangefinder Infinity and adjust according to the link that Dan provided if your camera has a side rangefinder.
17. Adjust the focus scale so that the infinity marks align.
18. Check focusing at closer distances using the ground glass and verifying that the focus scale is correct and the rangefinder is correct.
19. If the focus scales are off at close distances the scale is not for the lens installed on the camera. Make a new scale that matches the lens.
20. If the rangefinder is off adjust it.
21. Enjoy! or move on to the next aspect that needs correcting.
SCguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful information! I appreciate all the responses. I think I'm good to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: