Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about a Crown Graphic Special

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHXLaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father passed away a couple of years ago and my mother recently gave me his photographic equipment. This included a Graflex Crown Graphic Special. I wonder if the folks in this forum could answer a couple of questions for me...

1. The camera's serial number is 943146 and it has a top-mounted range finder. From one of the articles on the site, I see that the camera was probably made between 1955 and 1973. Can anyone give me a better approximation of the manufacture date?

2. The range finder had never been used. I had the camera examined at a camera shop and they told me it would take a 9 volt battery. Well, I tried that and burned out the bulb. I've replaced the 9 volt with 2 AA batteries. I tried to replace the bulb with a flash light bulb, but it isn't working. Anyone have any ideas?

3. The camera has a bracket on the right side that I assume was for a flash unit, but my mother didn't send a flash gun with the camera. Is there a way to add a flash unit to the camera?

4. The camera has a Xenar 135mm lens. Is there a way to change lenses without changing the entire lens board? Where can I find additional lenses for the camera?

Thanks for all of your help!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the lens can be removed from the lens board I suggest you leave it. these cameras were designed to have each of the lenses mounted on a board. Much quicker to change lenses that way. Somewhere on this list is a disscussion about the right lamp. I surmise that you've figured out you have to push the red button to get it to light.

Gandolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmigrex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -- the rangefinder light does take two AA batteries. I would think that the lamp from any flashlight that takes the same would work. Of course, you don't need batteries at all for the rangefinder -- they're only for the focusing spotlights that come out when you push the red button. Those are for focusing in dimly lit environments when you plan to use a flash, but the rangefinder doesn't need the light to operate. It's a cool function though -- if you can get the focuspot to work, it's what most people think is neatest about the camera

As for the lenses, you should get lensboards for all of the ones you plan to use -- removing lens rings and flanges a lot is a bad idea-- it's a good way to scratch your lens or strip the threads. Midwest Photo sells Pacemaker Graphic repro boards -- I just bought a couple from them in an online auction. If you decide to get more lenses for the camera, just figure the boards in as part of the cost.
extraparts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any handle mount flash should work with a tray screwed to the tripod hole in the bottom. This assumes that you have a shutter with a flash sinc. X for electronic, M for bulb.

If you don't have a modern flash connector you may have the cute little solenoid mounted next to your shutter.

It works by using a Graflex or Heiland flash attachment with a button on it. When you press the button on the flash, it triggers the flash bulb and also energizes the solenoid which trips the shutter. If you have everything adjusted right the shutter opens just about the time the flash bulb gets to full brightness.

Graflex flash attachments with the brackets to attach to your camera are quite easy to find. The brushed aluminum are quite reasonable. However, the ******** fans have pushed the chrome ones into the stratosphere to butcher and make into light *****s.

Neal
extraparts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any handle mount flash should work with a tray screwed to the tripod hole in the bottom. This assumes that you have a shutter with a flash sinc. X for electronic, M for bulb.

If you don't have a modern flash connector you may have the cute little solenoid mounted next to your shutter.

It works by using a Graflex or Heiland flash attachment with a button on it. When you press the button on the flash, it triggers the flash bulb and also energizes the solenoid which trips the shutter. If you have everything adjusted right the shutter opens just about the time the flash bulb gets to full brightness.

Graflex flash attachments with the brackets to attach to your camera are quite easy to find. The brushed aluminum are quite reasonable. However, the ******** fans have pushed the chrome ones into the stratosphere to butcher and make into light *****s.

Neal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: