Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which back on this graflex view?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artyvisual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: which back on this graflex view? Reply with quote

First post here, Im am not new to 4x5 (I shoot with a sinar F), but for a special project I am thinking of getting a Graflex. There is a View on the market here, but since I need to put on my polaroid packholder in, I must figure out if this is a Graflok back. I only have this picture. Can somebody identify if this a graflok back or one of the older graflex backs? (it seems like a View and not a View II frnt, but the packholder installed in the picture might suggest it is an newer type of back?)

Thanks![/img]
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like this one (on a 2x3): http://graflex.org/images/5th-column/back-2.jpg . The slots are slanted so as to indicate a 180º switcheroo has been made on the slider. Note same vintage film pack adapter as the one on yours. See also the illustration labeled "Graflex back" here: http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraphicBack
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex. Graflok have a different type of slider top and bottom. This back has a fixed bottom. Some late Graflex had sliders top and bottom but are straight and go in against the holder with no inward toward the camera body movement, Graflok sliders are angled and slide inward toward the holder and the camera back simultaneously. The sliders may move left or right to lock as Graflex Corp. used both on various camera models.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably want one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLEX-GRAFLOK-4X5-CAMERA-BACK-ASSEMBLY-w-FRESNEL-SCREEN-VIEWING-HOOD-/141020022016?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item2 . Buy it now price seems a bit steep, but if you're going to do a lot of work with the Graflex View this is the sort of back to have. (OTOH, before I paid that asking price I'd check out listings on the 'bay for a complete View II with Graflok, which sometimes go for a bargain price.)
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, that back is for a Pacemaker Crown or Speed. It will work on a View only if one makes an adapter to fit it to the view back standard.

The View I & II original color is Gray which has turned greenish with age. It also has a hammered finish.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it didn't look right to me; that's why I said "one like this," not "this one." Seems like I saw a listing on 'bay just the other day specifically for a Graflok back to fit a Graflex View, but it seems to have disappeared.
artyvisual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help; it's good to know it wont fit in advance. I think I will now go for a speed graflex, (the View was decently priced, but the Graphic aren't luckely very expensive too)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: