Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homemade viewfinder masks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antjam65

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone out there tried to make a viewfinder mask for their Graphic? I want to make one to use with my Horseman 6 x 12 cm rollfilm back. Any suggestions as far as materials to use or how to do it? My local hardware store sells very thin metal and plastic sheets for hobbyists that come in .3mm, .45mm and .5mm thicknesses. These seem promising as the material to use; they're cheap, so I could make a lot of mistakes! Maybe colored translucent plastic would be the easiest way to go? Has anyone measured the thickness of the interchangeable Graflex-produced masks? (Does anyone have an accurate enough measuring device?)
I've marked my (4x5) groundglass for the 6 x 12 format (actually, it's more like 5.5 x 11) and I'm wondering how to translate this to a reasonably accurate viewfinder mask... Anyway, I'm just beginning to think about this and any input would be appreciated (except telling me it's a foolish idea! Unless it really is a dumb idea...?)
Thanks,
AJ
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickness measurement is closer to the 0.5mm sheet metal. I own a 4x5 Crown Graphic and two viewfinder masks. The first is for a 6x9 (2x3) Graphic Back and a 135mm lens (14.7mm x 11.3mm view opening). The second is for a 6x9 (2x3) Graphic Back and a 152mm lens (13.6mm x 10.0mm). Over all size not counting the turned over tab on top is (29.0mm x 22.5mm).
You can work out the width size increase by the 9cm to 12cm ratio.
schmigrex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made 6x6 and 6x9 masks for mine out of exposed black film. The ratios for the square cutouts were easy to work out, and I checked them against my ground glass grids. Even the manufactured masks are just a guide, really, because the viewfinder is always a little off, depending on how close your eye is, etc. So getting "close enough" was fine with me. I cut mine out and insert them in the slot. I leave a little tab on the mask so I can pull it out easily, and while it's in it's held still with a little piece of gaffers tape. Nothing fancy, but it does the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: