Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to service a Kodak Ektar 127mm lens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtw_nz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: How to service a Kodak Ektar 127mm lens? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was recently given a Crown Graphic camera, unfortunately there was mold etc on the outside of the lens so I cleaned it off with some water. It worked and came clean, great! But in the process used too much water and it dripped down inside and on to the aperture blades. Now the water has dried out there are water spots on the inside of the lens I want to clean off, probably want to clean the aperture blades as well.

My question is how do you open up the lens to get access to these areas? I've done a lot of searching but haven't found anything that clearly shows how to do this. I wonder if some one here could give detailed instructions?

On the back is a ring with four inserts on it, do I remove that ring? Do I need a special tool? Or do I go through the lens at the front? I read you can just unscrew the lens from the board but it's stuck there pretty tight, seems like you would need to do something before hand.

Hopefully this is straight forward to someone, thanks in advance for any help!
Richard

Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front and rear elements should unscrew (CCW rotation). If they're stuck, try using one of those rubber textured-surface jar opener pads. Some folks use vinyl bumper cups of the proper diameter. These items are available at hardware stores. Clean the exposed lens surfaces with appropriate liquid (I use Windex) applied to a soft, lint-free cloth; be sure to carefully brush off the lens surfaces first with a "camel hair" (artist's) brush to remove any grit. Don't try to separate the lens elements. It's not necessary to remove the lens from the lensboard, but if you want to do this you can use either a spanner wrench or (what I use) a needle-nose pliers (insert pliers tips into the slots on the jam nut and rotate CCW). I wouldn't touch the aperture blades if they're functioning OK. Good luck!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the back is a ring with four inserts on it

Retaining ring, holds the shutter to the lens board, special wrench required to remove it. Example: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/spanner-wrench

The shutter and aperture blades in this shutter are thin metal and easily damaged/bent.

Shutter: the mechanical device that the lens is mounted into.
Lens: the glass cells front and rear.

The cells are in standard right hand threaded barrels that may be stuck in the shutter. A strap wrench or rubber jar opening aid may be necessary to remove them. The retaining ring may block access to the rear cell barrel edge and if so will have to be removed first.

Use only Isopropyl Alcohol or an electronic contact cleaner such as
http://www.crc.co.nz/Automotive-Cleaners--Degreasers-Electrical-Cleaners/p1/Auto-Electronic-Cleaner-ib49191c2-62d7-49d8-a542-776df5fe5df3-6538.htm
to clean the shutter and aperture blades.

DO NOT put any pressure on the shutter or aperture blades. Support the blades being cleaned from the opposite side if non aerosol cleaning is used.

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html catalog page 55, light travels in the direction of the arrow. The front cell is air spaced and the rear cell cemented. The position of the elements is critical in the front cell.

EDIT: the shutter and aperture blades must remain oil and grease free. extra fine powdered graphite can be used on them.
rtw_nz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks so much!

The rear lens element unscrewed fairly easily when I knew which way to turn it, so got that off and cleaned.

The front element won't budge though. To clarify, looking at the picture of the front in my first post I don't have to do anything but unscrew the element CCW? That is the black ring with the lens info and the metal ring directly around it? That whole section unscrews leaving just the outer ring with the shutter speeds etc on it?

Worst case I can just remove the rear element and leave the shutter open, I imagine it would be hard to get the edges though. Also if I want to clean the shutter blades.

Which brings me to my next question, the shutter seems to work fine and higher speeds, but there's a touch of rust on the shutter leaves and the aperture leaves. I guess it's best to clean that now?

Is isopropanol the same as isopropyl? That what's in the lens cleaner, can I use that for the shutter also? To clean the shutter, should I take the lens off the board or can I do it by just taking the lens elements out?

Thanks again for you help, really appreciate it!
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The front element won't budge though. To clarify, looking at the picture of the front in my first post I don't have to do anything but unscrew the element CCW? That is the black ring with the lens info and the metal ring directly around it? That whole section unscrews leaving just the outer ring with the shutter speeds etc on it?

The black ring with the lens info screws into the barrel and holds the front element in place. Grip the chrome/silver colored outer ring and turn CCW. I have encountered some that were very difficult to remove.
Trick 1: heat your oven to its lowest setting usually 65°C to 76°C (150°F-170°F), place lens/shutter in center of warm oven for 20-30 minutes, unscrew lens while warm.
Trick 2: last resort-apply a light coat of penetrating oil between shutter and lens, let soak for 20-30 minutes, unscrew lens, remove oil from lens and shutter.

isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) is the stuff you get at the drug store and use to clean cuts and scrapes with.

I service these shutters. If the slow speeds are off then it needs servicing.

See:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6105
for a simple speed tester.
rtw_nz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

thanks so much for your instructions. I did manage to get the retaining ring off but that was it, I tried sticking in the oven and then attempting but no luck. It's need a service anyway as yes it does stick at slow speed.

If you happen to know someone who does this in Portland, it would be great to hear.

thanks again,
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: