Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote cable release needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Remote cable release needed Reply with quote

for a Supermatic shutter on a CG 23. I understand they are different (thinner barrel) from the usual cable release. When using the B setting, the barrel on my release cable jams against the shutter release trigger/lever on the shutter. Anyone have an extra one of these cables that is not being used?
Gerry
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Supermatic my 101/4.5 Ektar is in accepts the normal tapered cable release tip and there's no interference between the cable release and the shutter release lever. Tell us again what you're seeing.

One of my nice Gitzo cable releases has a very long threaded tip that goes deep enough into the shutter to trip it. Is that what's happening with yours?
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
When the cable release is threaded into the shutter and using the B setting (to focus), the shutter release lever binds against the cable barrel, preventing the shutter from tripping. The shutter opens OK, but then won't close because of the interference (binding) between the cable barrel and release lever. I might be able to bend the shutter lever, but don't want to damage the shutter. I have a good photo of this, but don't think I can post it here.
Gerry
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ground a relief notch into the cable and that gives the shutter release lever clearance to close. I'll see how that works out.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use B to focus. Use the press focus.

Cock the shutter, at any speed. Press the press focus button in and release the shutter. It will stay open. To close the shutter, cock it again and fire it again, without holding the press focus button in.

Also, if you must change shutter speed between focusing/composing and taking the shot, why don't you use T to focus?

Which lens and Supermatic model do you have?
restless1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. I'll give that a try. The shutter is a Kodak Flash Supermatic. Ektar 101/4.5 lens.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, that's what I have and as I said it accepts cable releases with no problems. Yours or mine has been abused.
restless1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
If I do as you suggest, using T or Press button for focusing, the cable works properly. I'll use that method. Thanks again for the advice.
Gerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: