Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Speed Graphics and 4x5, Full of questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noahpurdy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: New to Speed Graphics and 4x5, Full of questions! Reply with quote

Hi all!

I recently purchased a Speed Graphic in what I think is brilliant condition for $200 at a flea market. I've had my eyes on one for quite some time as I want to delve into 4x5 photographer and I finally got one!

Here's a photo:

So my primary concern after I got it was to check that everything was working correctly. I set the Camera up, trained on a subject with the lens board removed and used a DSLR to test and compare the focal plane shutter speeds. After my first attempt the shutter proved to be moving slow, so I followed a guide I found on lubricated and adding a little oomph to the spring and after a second test, I think I'm all set, but you guys be the judge:

My next bigger concern is the lens shutter. I have a Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 lens (which is rarer I'm told, I'm glad, it's the one that I wanted) in a Graphex shutter. I don't believe the shutter is functioning proper but I have never used a leaf-shutter before so I may just not be doing it right. I took this video to demonstrate:
Shutter Test Video

Anyone know of a good place to service this shutter? (I've very open to DIY so if it is an easy shutter to work on I'll give it a go!) Also is there a shutter that is compatible with the Ektar 152mm that goes up to 1/400th of a second? I plan to use electronic flash and the higher the sync speed the better! Also, where might I find a cable that attaches to the double sync post with another end that I can attach to a Pocket Wizard?

Besides the shutter, which I very well may have broken myself due to not using it correctly, there is one other 'broke' part on the camera. The hint on the focus rails on the left side of the camera is missing a pin. Where / how I might I fix this? Here's a photo:

Finally, I wouldn't mind learning a little more about this camera. The lens has a serial number of ES3480 and the camera has a serial number of 848634. The lens looks like it is original however you never know. There is no printing on the under-side of the 'H' rails. All I know is that it's a Pacemaker and had a side-mounted Kalart Range-finder which I have since removed as I plan on only using the ground-glass to focus and it makes access to the focal winding knob a pain.

Thanks in advanced! That's all I can think of now, though I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Cheers!

-Noah
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I set the Camera up, trained on a subject with the lens board removed and used a DSLR to test and compare the focal plane shutter speeds

See: http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6105

[quote]I have a Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 lens (which is rarer I'm told, I'm glad, it's the one that I wanted) in a Graphex shutter. I don't believe the shutter is functioning proper but I have never used a leaf-shutter before so I may just not be doing it right.[/quote
See: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_11.html

Quote:
Anyone know of a good place to service this shutter?

I charge $60 + shipping; http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/ $65; http://www.skgrimes.com/ $100. Use a search engine and keyword "largeformat shutter repair" in your area. There are lots of good service people around.
Quote:
(I've very open to DIY so if it is an easy shutter to work on I'll give it a go!)

See: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GraphexShutterService.pdf
It is a #2 Graphex X sync shutter, the manual is for the Full Sync Version so yours will be easier to service. On a scale of 1 simplest to 10 most difficult the Graphex is a 5.5. When servicing shutters only trace amounts of oil and grease are used. Too much of either act like glue.

Quote:
I plan to use electronic flash and the higher the sync speed the better! Also, where might I find a cable that attaches to the double sync post with another end that I can attach to a Pocket Wizard?

http://www.paramountcords.com/
The shutter has what is called a BiPost flash sync connector. You need a Bi Post to ? cord.

Quote:
there is one other 'broke' part on the camera. The hint on the focus rails on the left side of the camera is missing a pin. Where / how I might I fix this?

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf
Minor differences between the side and top rangefinder versions.

Manual page 36 figure 7 index 3a- pin yoke link. A piece of brass rod that just slides through the hole in the yoke and link and turns freely staked on each side of the yoke so that the pin does not slide out should do the trick.

EDIT
Quote:
The lens has a serial number of ES3480

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html#EktarLenses
Quote:
the camera has a serial number of 848634

noahpurdy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Manual page 36 figure 7 index 3a- pin yoke link. A piece of brass rod that just slides through the hole in the yoke and link and turns freely staked on each side of the yoke so that the pin does not slide out should do the trick.

Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by 'staked'. Can you further describe this?

Quote:
It is a #2 Graphex X sync shutter, the manual is for the Full Sync Version so yours will be easier to service. On a scale of 1 simplest to 10 most difficult the Graphex is a 5.5. When servicing shutters only trace amounts of oil and grease are used. Too much of either act like glue.

Having taken the cover off, I am quite intimidated by this! Is there a version of the Graphex shutter that goes to 1/400th of a second that the Ektar 152mm fits in?

Cheers, and thanks for all the valuable info!

-N
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by 'staked'. Can you further describe this?

Enlarge the very end only so that it will not pass through the hole without enlarging the rest of the piece of rod.

Quote:
Is there a version of the Graphex shutter that goes to 1/400th of a second that the Ektar 152mm fits in?

Kodak made their lens with their thread diameter and pitch so they only fit shutters made for their lens. SK Grimes could make adapters to put it in a newer shutter but a new lens with shutter would be more cost effective. You will rarely need 1/400 shutter speed unless shooting wide open in bright light with fast film.

See: http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6103

Unless an aperture blade is broken, springs broken or gears stripped its repairable without a parts shutter to rob from. Click on the PM button to send me a private message only if you want me to CLA (clean lube adjust) your shutter.
noahpurdy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Quote:

Enlarge the very end only so that it will not pass through the hole without enlarging the rest of the piece of rod.

I don't even know where I'd be able to find a piece like that; any suggestions?

Cheers,

-N
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware stores, hobby shops, or a http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202105644/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=brass+brad&storeId=10051 brass escutcheon pin might fit.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hole is in a very tight location for a staked pin to be installed, IMO. Two thoughts: 1) a small rivet, head to the inside of the case, open end squeezed with pliers; or 2) [my choice], small machine screw/nut/washer (I'm guessing 0-80 would do it), available at some model RR hobby shops.
MonkeyBrain

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
You will rarely need 1/400 shutter speed unless shooting wide open in bright light with fast film.

...or shooting with electronic flash in broad daylight, with the intention of considerably under exposing the daylight, as I'm guessing Noah is planning on doing.
noahpurdy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonkeyBrain wrote:
45PSS wrote:
You will rarely need 1/400 shutter speed unless shooting wide open in bright light with fast film.

...or shooting with electronic flash in broad daylight, with the intention of considerably under exposing the daylight, as I'm guessing Noah is planning on doing.

That's my plan but I'm so used to the 1/180th sync speed on my DSLR that I'm pretty sure I can manage with 1/200th. The 1/400th would be nice but not at what it would cost. (New lens / shutter combo vs/ $60.00 CLA. I'm a poor college student! Haha).
noahpurdy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS Is hooking me up! He's doing a CLA of my lens shutter and fixing the focus rails for me.

This leaves me with an almost 100% Camera. Besides getting the Kalart all setup when all the parts come back to me I have one last question:

Portrait lens!

I have a normal FL lens now but I definitely want something a little longer. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any of the longer lenses that came with the SG's on eBay. Any ideas for a good portrait lens on the shorter side of things (Thinking 85mm in 35mm terms). I'm basically wanting to have a super shallow depth of field.

I looked into some Petzval's, I love the swirl effect they produce but I just don't know enough about them to know which is an appropriate one. (I'd want one to cover the full frame; don't want the image looking like a circle).

Anyways, suggestions welcomed!
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that a 203mm Optar or similar Ektar might work. Also, Kodak made what they called "Portra" lenses in +1, +2, and +3 strengths, which, used singly or in combination, effectively increased the focal length of the primary ("normal") lens, in your case 152 mm. Portras came in series sizes (series VI would work with your Ektar, I think) for use with the appropriate slip ring. I would anticipate a soft focus effect with the use of Portra lenses.
1banjo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wollensak Raptar Telephoto 10inch (254mm) f5.6
Very good glass, shutter needs CLA
Item: 280885971208

WOLLENSAK RAPTAR 10 IN. f5.6 RAPTAR TELEPHOTO LENS 985872 RAPAX NO RESERVE!!
Item: 130700291466

Wollensak Velostigmat Series II

Along with the Verito in 1911, Wollensak introduced the Velostigmat Series II lens with a speed of f/4.5. This lens was marketed as a "high speed Anastigmat." It was produced in sizes with coverages ranging from 3.25x4.25 inch to 11x14 inch, with a diffusion feature on the three largest sized lenses (6.5x8.5, 8x10, 11x14). The user was able to twist the front part of the barrel causing the front element to move out of position to add diffusion. There is a scale marked with 5 settings on the front barrel edge to denote the various diffusion amounts. This feature allowed Wollensak to market this lens as a sharp general purpose lens that also allowed diffusion to be added at any f stop. This differed from the Verito where the aperture selected determined the amount of diffusion.

The August 1911 issue of Camera Craft Magazine wrote, "The Wollensak Optical Company had a most complete exhibit of photographic lenses and shutters in their booth at the St. Paul Convention. The line included several new and interesting lenses and shutters. The Series II Velostigmat, F-4.5, recently perfected, is a remarkable lens, having all the good qualities of an Anastigmat. The three larger sizes are equipped with an ingenious device whereby the operator is enabled to obtain any degree of softness or diffusion he may desire. As this lens has a field that is absolutely flat, any diffusion introduced by means of the diffusing device will result in an equal diffusion or softness over the entire plate. This diffusion is by no means what is termed "fuzzy" and no ghosts, or double outlines result, as is the case with some lenses intended for soft focus."

By 1911, Wollensak was able to offer photographers the Vitax, Verito, and Velostigmat Series II lenses, all with distinct purposes and with various types of diffusion methods, and as such, the three lenses were frequently advertised together.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoke link pin: .077 inch diameter x 11/64 inch long. Pin is staked (enlarged) on the outer end to lock it into the yoke.
5/64=.0781 inch.

This yoke was .085 at the broken link pin opening. A piece of brass rod was turned down so that it would just pass through the link then cut to 1/4 inch length.The pin blank was secured in a vise and 1/16-3/64 of one end flattened with a hammer. The replacement pin was placed into the yoke with the yoke secured in a vise and taped into place with a 3/8 center punch and 16 ounce hammer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: