Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tilt lock nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmguerilla

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Tilt lock nuts Reply with quote

hi guys,

i'm still in the look out for some top rf pacemaker speed graphic parts. i need a tilt lock nut. is it possible to get one withouht buying a whole front standard? anyone have spare would like to sell? or anyone know where can i get one. can't seem to find one on the auction site.

please help. this is for my restoration on my first graphic.

thank you!

FG
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of these http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Digital-Caliper-Large-Display/dp/B006K4YARY/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1336678767&sr=1-7
to measure the OD of the stud on an Anniversary Speed and a Super Speed Graphic then counted the number of thread peaks in the length of the stud. Dividing the stud length by the number of thread peaks gives the thread length. Looking up the stud diameter in a screw chart I found it to be #5 which has two thread pitches. SAE screws are based on the inch system and used in Graflex Corp. cameras. Dividing 1 by the thread pitches I found the stud to be 40 TPI on all studs.
A #5-40 machine nut will fit any front standard locknut position. If the stud has a slot in the end it is staked by spreading the slot slightly to prevent the nut from coming off, squeeze it together slightly to get a nut off.
http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=9195
The Anniversary list this part number
30444-P1 Knob frame clamp
The Side and Top RF Pacemaker lists part numbers
30444-P1 Knob clamp
30436-P1 Knob support locking
The Super Graphic lists this part number
36105-P1 Knob locking
for all positions.
The only difference between part numbers is appearance.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazon digital caliper looks identical to one sold by Harbor Freight for about the same price (on sale and/or with their ubiquitous 20% off coupons). It switches between metric and English at the push of a button---very handy!

Shipping from boltdepot.com might be pretty high just for one or two little nuts; you could first try your friendly local well-stocked hardware store parts drawers.
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so you know the 5 - 40 mite be hard to find as at radioshack they have 4 - 40 & 6 - 32 but didn't see any 5- 40

I just tryed a 4 - 40 thanking that it would be a 4 - 40 AND NOT a 4 - 40
so what you are called 5-40 Brass thumb nut

I can't find any listed anywhere

SO get what you can find @
http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=9195

you mite ask ebad Member id lakesgraphic if he would have any
he has this

Graflex 4x5 Crown Graphic Front Standard
Item: 251057170181

banjo
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my truck that averages 13 mpg, $4.25 a gallon gas, 17 miles one way to the nearest hardware store that might carry that size and 25 miles one way to the hobby shop that may not have anything that large the on line ordering is less expensive. Now take the original poster who is in Asia and may have to fly half way around the world to such a hardware store and shipping is far less expensive.

Check your Century's, they most likely use the same size also.

The studs measured .119 inch. The stud length varied from .127 with 5 thread peaks to .216 with 8.5 thread peaks. .127/5=.0254; .216/8.5=.0254;

A #5-40 2A has a minimum diameter of .1191.
A #5-40 3A has a minimum diameter of .1199.
A #5-44 2A has a minimum diameter of .1195
A #5-44 3A has a minimum diameter of .1202
1/40=.025
1/44= .022727
I do not know the technical difference between a 2A and 3A thread.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own; we're all trying to be helpful here. My hardware store is 3 miles down the road. Another is about the same, in the other direction. And I drive an '02 Prius, 45 mpg. Gas here in e. PA is now down to $3.70/gal. If you have a local source that's convenient, good; if not, use your way.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 10 hardware stores within 3 miles of me but none of them will have a #0, #1, #3, or #5 screw or nut of any kind and 2 or 3 of them will have a # 2 screw or nut while all will have #4, 6, 8, 10, 12 up to 1/2 inch.

If the hardware store in your area carries the uncommon sizes you're lucky.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably (educated guess) at least 20 hardware stores within a ten mile radius of me. Searching for unusual items proves the value of the telephone.

I *am* lucky. In my birth city---no names need be mentioned, but it's where the Masters' Golf Tournament is held ---there are exactly 0, as in "zero," hardware stores except for the big box boys. Hard to believe.
filmguerilla

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: sorry guys Reply with quote

for not updating the thread.. i found one already.. thank you guys for all the help! i'm sure loving graflex and also the site.

thanks again!
rjb1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem may be solved, but for future reference check McMaster-Carr for odd sized nuts (and most everything else).
They list #0, #1, #3, and #5 nuts in both thread pitches. Packages of 100 are in the $1-$3 range.
Very efficient mail order service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: