Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a brighter ground glass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LelandRay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: I want a brighter ground glass Reply with quote

See subject. Suggestions?
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an Ektalite screen (fresnel) in my Century. While I can't say that this makes a dramatic difference, it does seem to help at the edges and corners, and in general the gg seems more evenly lit than before. OTOH, it will introduce those fine lines into the view, especially noticeable when using a loupe. I guess if I had to do it over again, it would be a toss-up.

There is/was(?) an outfit that offered custom-fit fresnel screens for many current production cameras; some of those screens may fit the Graphics. They were fairly pricey. I had the name and URL of the firm bookmarked at one time, but I've lost it. Perhaps other members can help. There was also a member of the board who was making and selling ground glass, cut to dimension. His prices were very reasonable, and the gg's are very bright and clean; I bought four for my Century, enough to install one and have spares when needed, and I'm glad I did, because the maker had to give it up for health reasons, IIRC. But this info won't do you any good, I'm afraid.

The B&H catalog used to list fresnels for the LF field and view cameras; don't know if they're in their current listings.

There have been a number of threads on the board over the years dealing with correct mounting of a fresnel relative to the gg, and there is an article, accessible from the main page, about fresnels in general: http://graflex.org/articles/sanz-cervera/. HTH
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the ground glass from the mount frame.
Using your finger tips only wash both sides with warm water and dish soap. I use Dawn and apply it direct to the ground glass. Rub both sides thoroughly then holding by the edges only rinse in running water then in a pan of water with 3 to 6 drops photoflow or similar. Stand on edge and allow to air dry or dry with a lint free cloth.

A fresnel (ektalite field screen) can be washed in the same fashion but rub the ribbed side in the direction of the ribs only.

Average improvement is 1/2 to 1 stop brighter.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned both the ground glass and the Fresnel as suggested, and it did help. Funny thing is, I knew about this a hundred years ago, but I had to be reminded, probably because I knew about it a hundred years ago.

Thanks much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: