Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bellows dressing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smilingjack01

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased two cameras that had a thick greasey residue on the bellows in spots. I assume this is left over dressing. Can this be the case? Also what was used for preserving the bellows in days of old?
Les

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be. I'd clean it off with some V&HP Naptha (a high grade of mineral spirits) and some cotton balls.

if its a pre-ann or any camera with leatherette bellows I'd use some lexol sparingly.

If its a anniversary or Pacemaker its not leather and I'd use Lemon Pledge.

I'm not sure what they used on the bellows, Several old timers used shoe polish on the out side. today I'd use a microcrystilline wax

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-05-07 12:57 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No old timer ever used shoe polish--worse thing you could possibly do to a bellows or body leather on these cameras---it drys the leather out! The oldtimers did use Lexol for museum restorations however! I prefer Neatsfoot oil, for cleaning and preserving!
Sorry to dispute the comments above, as well intentioned as they may be, but there need be more dialog on this subject, before
we go any farther! Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: