Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another plea for model identification.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phirehouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Another plea for model identification. Reply with quote

hello, i am new to this forum and could use some help with an I.D. on a mini speed graphic i won on ebay. It does not appear to have ever had a rangefinder on it. i am including the auction number so you can read the seller's description and view the photos.

ebay # 230633900425

thank-you,
Marc
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a Miniature Speed Graphic, 1939-1946. Here's a link to a description of the camera on this website:
http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/miniature-speed-graphic.html
phirehouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did this model come without a rangefinder? I did check this page of the site but did not think this was a match.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get your Graphic with/without any accessory made at that time you wanted. The side rangefinder is an accessory.
phirehouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. I was not aware that these could best ordered without a rangefinder and I have not seen one without one. was this uncommon? the back seems different to me also . I think it has a spring kit on it for a roll film back and I have mounted one on it but I miss the rangefinder this way. none off my other backs mounting holes will line up with the holes in this cameras back.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a picture of your camera's back via an image hosting site for easier assistance.
phirehouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i hate to sound like an idiot, but i really am analog and have never done that before. (I can barely work a computer.) i will work on it, but it probably won't happen until tomorrow sometime. there is one photo from the auction that does show the camera's back almost well enough to see the springs. they have a different shape then the typical spring-back springs, and they have a small "J" shape at the tips which ride in the slot of the roll film back. I am new to this format, and have just recently fallen head over heels for the Speed Graphic. My RB67 is extremely jealous. my first Speed Graphic was an Ebay wreck in the 4x5 size that i promptly shipped-off to Fred Lustig for renovation. when it returns, i plan on mounting my newly aquired kodak aero 7. I love this forum, and the one over at APUG. Until i found these sites, i actually though i was the only guy still using film. It is so nice to know that there are so many people that share my love of film, better yet, there knowledge.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL

Those springs are the highly desired retainers for a Roll Film Holder. It may be the standard Graphic (spring) back without the focus panel which gets removed when a Roll Film Holder is attached.

Several members here also post on APUG, http://photo.net/ , and/or http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ .

Now you open an account at one of the many free image hosting sites on the web. Next you make a reasonably high resolution well lit image with your digital P&S and put it on your computer. Next you edit it to around 600 or 700 pixel wide photo then upload it to your hosting account which will provide you with the code for putting the photo in a post or a link to the photo which you put into your post. The ebay photo is adequate for now.
phirehouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i get lucky on this purchase? It came with an Ektar 101mm lens and other than the focal plane shutter running a little slow, (and the lack of a rangefinder), it seems to be in pretty decent condition. i just really have no idea how i am supposed to focus this thing. It appears to have the vernier style focus scale. I paid $45.00
phirehouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and thank's for the help. I noticed you have helped many members on serveral sites.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I only post here and one other.
phirehouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...thank's anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: